What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nylon Pitot line in Wing OK?

lr172

Well Known Member
My current wing has an aluminum pitot line and I intend on using nylon in fuselage. I feel that Nylon in the wing, transitioning to a simple 90* nylon fitting at the fuse is the most elegant method. However, I was worried Van's did aluminum in the wing for a reason and saw several folks leave the alum line in the wing.

Am I ok with nylon tubing in the wing?

Larry

Absolutely. I used the SafeAir1 Pitot/AOA kit that comes with plastic lines and quick-connect fittings and it was easy to install, and unless you plan on having critters living in your wing chewing through the lines, they should last just fine;)

Chris

Nylon pitot lines

I suspect modern nylon lines are more durable than aluminum for vibration resistance, and high quality fittings are easy to find locally. I used "John Guest" pneumatic fittings on the advice of an instrument technician that uses them in control systems for industrial equipment. I found the industrial supplier who stocked the fittings to by quite helpful with other items such as firewall sealants, anti chafe wrap for tubes and wires, custom made fire-sleeved fuel lines, and other odds and ends.

Jay

Like wise I used the safe air lines and quick connect fittings, they work great and provide all the fittings to enable you to connect to various instruments, EFIS sensors.
Jack

On my last project, I was not only able to do nylon, but kept it one piece from the pitot to the AS indicator. Used the hose and brass compression fittings from the aviation dept at Home Depot.

One might consider leaving the connector off at the fuse if possible... It's a potential leak, adds weight, and unless you're taking the wing off often, won't add any utility.

On my last project, I was not only able to do nylon, but kept it one piece from the pitot to the AS indicator. Used the hose and brass compression fittings from the aviation dept at Home Depot.

One might consider leaving the connector off at the fuse if possible... It's a potential leak, adds weight, and unless you're taking the wing off often, won't add any utility.

Be wary of the brass compression fittings. Have had them leak over time. The poly tubing will eventually take a set and normal temp/pressure/movement cycles will allow it leak. Guessing it's such a low pressure application, it doesn't seem to hold like, say, a water line supplying an ice maker that's constantly seeing 50-60 psi.

I would do plastic tubing but *only* use the newer (?) o-ring sealed, snap together type air fittings. Minimize the fittings is good too! Cut it the next time you have to remove your wings...

http://www.steinair.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=213
http://www.smcpneumatics.com/KQ2C-01A-BR.html

Last edited:
Good tip concerning leaks in the compression fittings... Never run across a problem before. I use the type with the inner brass tube which traps the hose firmly between the inner sleeve and the crush collar. Any issues with that type?

image022.jpg

Good tip concerning leaks in the compression fittings... Never run across a problem before. I use the type with the inner brass tube which traps the hose firmly between the inner sleeve and the crush collar. Any issues with that type?
That's a different style than I was thinking. Looks much better and can't see a problem with that style from the tubing collapsing standpoint. But try these plastic snap-in, o-ring seal type fittings and you'll never use anything else.

Last edited:
I have used the quick release type but I actually prefer the little brass units. I'm sure the end result (leak free) is the same, but I find the brass fittings to provide a more compact, cleaner (sano, in car speak) look.

Last edited:
I've seen several methods of adapting the 3/16 aluminum tubing that comes on most pitot/AOA probes to the1/4" plastic tubing for getting those pressures to the cockpit. Most leave the connection "hanging", ie. not attached to any structure. To alleviate this, I found the bulkhead fittngs shown in the photo below at AutomationDirect.com. They adapt the 1/4" plastic tubing to 1/8" female NPT, into which I'll put an AN816-3D fitting to adapt to the 3/16" tubes. These fittings are chrome plated brass and a tad on the heavy side, but there's only two them, and I won't have to worry about fatiguing of the aluminum tubes on the pitot/AOA probe.
FP03082013A0002Z.jpg

Back