What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutplates Missing??

uuacallis

Good Evening,
I have read the few other nutplate saga's on the forum and yet still am confused.

There were only 2 bags that had any nut plates, one that had just 2 and one that had many of what appeared to be 4 different types mixed.

Ultimately when I got them sorted this is what I have -

100_0564-e1380368300971.jpg

I see a lot that have -08 on them (Like the one that is second down), but I don't see ANY that are -03

Also, I have no idea how to identify the AN3 bolts so that I could just test the threads.

And before anyone says, "You should have inventoried your kit before starting", I did, the only thing on the packing list was "Nutplates" in a single bag. So I have no idea how many of each type I should have to start with.

Thoughts?

(It's almost as if they decided to eliminate the -03's and just use the -08's but didn't update the docs)

Last edited:
Adam,

The AN3 is what the commercial grade guys call a number 10 machine screw fine thread: 3/16" with 24 threads per inch. You need to get a copy of the standard aircraft hardware manual if you don't have one, or get an Aircraft Spruce catalog for hardware descriptions. Also consider attending some EAA weekend workshops for builders if you are doing this for the first time.

Good luck!

Rich

Adam,

The AN3 is what the commercial grade guys call a number 10 machine screw fine thread: 3/16" with 24 threads per inch...

Correction: AN3 bolts have a 3/16" nominal shank and 32 threads per inch.

I believe that the nutplates in the picture are, from top to bottom:

K1000-06 for 6-32 threads
K1000-3 for 10-32 (AN3 bolts and such)
K1100-08 for dimpled holes for 8-32 screws
K1000-4 for 1/4-28 (AN4 bolts and such)

Also, in the future can you please rescale your photos down to 800 or 1200 pixels wide? Huge photos like these make threads hard to view and reply to.

Thanks, Bob K.

Last edited:
I think I figured out my confusion

All- I think I was able to figure out what I was confused about. On the nut plate it has the # 08 on it which I mistakenly assumed meant K1000-08, but in reality it is the -03

The problem with section 5 is it shows all kinds of parts that aren't included in the RV-12(or at least not included in empennage kit)

My only suggestion to VANS would be to specify how many of each type nut plate we should have somewhere and also only show the parts relevant to the plane your building.

- Also, sorry about the huge photo size, I believe I Have corrected it now

Last edited:
My empennage kit came with a 3 page inventory list that should of come with yours as well.

At the bottom of page 2 it lists the 4 types and quantity of nutplates you should have:

30 ea. K1000-3 platenut 10-32
2 ea. K1000-4 platenut 1/4-28
20 ea. K1000-06 platenut 6-32
26 ea. K1100-08 platenut-C-sunk 8

Jim

I've about worn out my packing lists and hardware lists, comparing them to the plans and locating my needed parts. These two documents are invaluable!

If I had a dollar for everytime I THOUGHT something was accidentally not included in my hardware, I'd buy another RV-12 kit with that money. I've found one or two tiny little things that I don't think we're included, but it has been something very minor in all instances. And eventually, despite my great organization, those parts will probably show up.

99.9999999% of the time, just keep looking. And use your packing list and hardware lists to help you locate the correct bags. It's there somewhere!

Bob, thanks for correcting me. Yes, I meant to say 10-32, not 24 threads per inch. I guess the aging brain phenomenon is real! :)

Back