What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nut Plate Size?

8CW

Well Known Member
Thinking ahead, those that installed nutplates to make their baggage floors removable, what size did you use? Thanks.

#6 screws most closely match the diameter of the 1/8" blind rivets called out for by Vans. However, I used #8 screws (and nutplates) on the recommendation of another RV builder who is a professional A&P, IA. He feels that #4 and #6 screws tend to break off to often when you try to remove them from the nutplates. I went with his recommendations. You could save a bit of weight by using the #6 screws and applying NeverSeize to them to ensure that they come out when needed.
Charlie Kuss

NUT plates

I used #8 too, but wouldn't go below #6. If you run a tap thru the nutplate first, you will lose the locking effect, but won't have to worry about breaking screws off.

I have also run a tap through a lot of my #6 and #4 (even some #8) nutplates in areas like the baggage floor that are not as critical to have the tight grip. Particularly the #4 screws are prone to breakage unless the nutplates have been tapped.

greg

I used the AN525-832xx washer head screws with nylon flat washers below the head and the appropriate nutplates. This screw type has a "grip-length" and is considered structural. I chose to implement this solution in all floor / baggage compartment panels just so I could remove the items for any maintenance issues that might come up.

The nylon washers are used to keep from scratching up the primer / paint.
Also, I used 4 of Van's baggage compartment tie-down ring assemblies. These items are ideally used with #10 flat head screws, but I used #8 flat heads instead...just to keep the use of the same nutplate size. If I decide to remove the ring bases, I can install the #8 washer head screws for a consistent look.

I agree with some of the comments on the #6 screws. I have had some of the heads snap off when trying to install them into #6 nutplates.

Back