What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now that I glue the canopy on...

I did both

I glued them to the canopy, and riveted them to the frame. I added them after the canopy was glued to the frame IIRC.

Like Dennis with the addition that I both glued and riveted the canopy to the frame along the sides. Then I glued the outer skirts to the canopy with clecos in the frame holes and riveted the skirts to the frame once the Sika had set.

152 holes drilled and dimpled

Since I've already glue the canopy on to the frame, why not glue the canopy side skirts on to. I could avoid drilling and dimpling 152 holes. I know in the scheme of things, it's a small faction of the total holes in an RV. Just checking to see if someone else has done the same. Thanks!

Ok, I glue the skirt to canopy and will rivet to the frame

I did glue the skirt to the canopy, waiting for the sika to set before I rivet to the frame. The glue fills the small gap between the plexi and the skirt. Looks like a cleaner finished product with no gap.

I'm 99.9% sure I'm not going to install the canopy release system. I don't like the handle coming through the panel and I don't plan to exit the plane in flight. It would be nice for removing the canopy in the future, not sure how often that happens...

Like - never ...

I skipped the release mechanism. I drilled holes in the hinge 'pins' (bolts) and put a clip-pin in to secure them in place. I've been flying for 3 years and have yet to remove the canopy.

Back