What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Now if I can only get it back! (Finished Paint!)

Jim P

Well Known Member
Operation Pecos Crayola, Phase II comes to an end. Grady has finished up the paint and it's ready for the return to Seattle. I ended up with a nasty cold on the day I was supposed to return to Dallas, and between that, weather in Dallas and the NW, and work, it's a good thing I delayed.

The sun finally came out in Dallas so Grady was able to send some smaller pics of the finished scheme. I realize this is one of those love it/ hate it schemes, but it's historically accurate (within the confines of the airframe), and has a large sentimental value. For an interesting read on the history and what's behind it, see http://adap.com/rv7/yalepaint.htm. For some additional pics during the paint process, see http://adap.com/rv/yalepaint3.htm.

I can't give Grady enough cudos for being a great shop to work with! For being that far away, I had complete faith in him and Brandon to take care of the plane. Although I haven't seen the finished product, I anticipate that the overall quality meets his excellent reputation.

Hopefully I get a chance for some A2A pics when I get back to Dallas!

Paint06.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

Saw it yesterday in person, Jim. Awesome looking plane - I will NOT have a problem seeing it from above <g>! We'll see if we can't get some A2A shots when you get to town. Keep me in the loop.

b,
dr

Last edited:
Hey Jim I think it looks great! I'm also in the love it/ hate it club...Mostly hate it I think ,because of some comments on other webs sites, but I don't care. I went with an historically acurate paint scheme that I liked and wanted to paint myself ,so I did it. I've found that as popular as Van's planes are, you've really got to dig to come up with something original. The more people that find paint schemes like yours the better. Makes life in the RV world just that much more interesting!!! Great job again, Joel McMillian aka Black 8.
fw190maximowitzqk2.jpg

By joelmc at 2008-06-03
black8026yo9.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Jim I think it looks great! I'm also in the love it/ hate it club...Mostly hate it I think ,because of some comments on other webs sites, but I don't care. I went with an historically acurate paint scheme that I liked and wanted to paint myself ,so I did it. I've found that as popular as Van's planes are, you've really got to dig to come up with something original. The more people that find paint schemes like yours the better. Makes life in the RV world just that much more interesting!!! Great job again,

I'm in the WWI/II paint job..........fan club!

I think that both planes shown in this thread look great!

L.Adamson --- I painted the star and D-day stripes on mine

Hey Joe, I've seen video of your -8 and thought it looked great. Kind of nice to see a different flavor out there! We see a lot of the P-51 schemes, but not many others. You're right, finding a scheme that's a bit different is getting difficult with all the RV's flying these days!

Back