What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Notching the aileron nose skin for pushrod attach bolt

Loman

Well Known Member
I didn't realise that the A-901A aileron nose skins were handed. I didn't notice it at the time but they must have been. The part designation doesn't tell you this, but there is a section in the manual that says" Note that a small notch must be filed in the INBOARD A-904 nose rib" (my emphasis).

With Murphy's law operating smoothly, I have managed to get these notches on the outboard ends. No big problem, you might think - just notch the other end. However I am concerned at the size of the notches required and their proximity to one of the rivets.

1z14iop.jpg

The hatched area shown is a little generous (marked with a normal washer instead of a thin one) but it still does not leave enough edge-hole clearance

The notches are definitely needed. There is no other way to get a nut and washer onto the threads of the flat-head screw that serves as an axel for the pushrod end-bearing. It seems my options are:

A) just notch it and forget it - there is plenty of strength left in the remaining fixings that hold the parts in place.
B) put in additional rivets above and/or below the notch, in line with the other rivets and with proper clearance to all edges . It would not be easy to dimple these holes but it is possible

What do you all think?

stick to the plans

Loman,
You marked the notch too wide. Reduce it to the point approximately 3/32 distance from that rivet. I removed/installed my ailerons couple times while rigging and had no issues to put nut on. You have to trim that screw to right lenght. In Murphy's manual it says - get extra screws:) I cut it three times and the thing was still short...

Sorted!

Two replies within 40 minutes, and another (with photo) 4 hours later! Well done guys; you are all really sharp today!

The key piece of information is the thin nut, which I had missed. One of them had alerady been used inadvertently elsewhere but I found it quickly enough and swapped it out. They made a big difference as you can see:

a4msr9.jpg

The old blue line is where I originally intended to finish the notch.

The edge of the notch is a full 3/16 inch away from the dimple of the rivet, i.e. two rivet thicknesses and full edge clearance.

Thanks to all for the great replies.

Back