What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nosewheel tire and tube

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
Guys: Last weekend I had a flat nose tire while taxing back to my hangar. Luckily no damage to tire, wheel, or fairing, just a hole in the sidewall of the tube. I went to Vans website to order the Lamb (Cheng Shin) tire and tube and noted the prices were $21 and $10 respectively. Anyway, while on the computer I decided to goggle the tire and tube for grins, not expecting any better pricing. Surprisingly, Aircraft Spruce came back with prices on the same tire and tube of $17.50 and $4.85. I ordered 2 tubes, replace one I borrowed and a spare, and a tire, total price was $27.20 plus $8.60 UPS shipping for a total of $35, ordered Friday night and received Wednesday afternoon. Just a heads up if your are in the market for nose wheel tires and tubes. Dan.

Dan, thanks for the heads up. Just in case you hadn't cruised the archives, two things seem to be important to prevent this exact (sidewall pin hole) failure, and I'm not sure which is more important. First, use copious amounts of baby powder throughout the inside of the tire, outside of the inner tube. Second, set a minimum pressure for the nose wheel, as it seems that the flexing of the tire causes localized stretching of the tube along the sidewall, causing the pin holes. My rule of thumb is to add air when the corner of the tire is just starting to touch, which will be in the neighborhood of 30 psi. I had three flats in two years (all pin holes in the sidewall), then none in the last 6 years after doing these two things.

Re: tires and tubes

Alex: Thanks for the info, I have used copious amounts of baby powder but the air pressure idea is a keeper. Dan

I had a nose wheel flat on my 6A also... Luck was with me in that after a text book landing, and turn off the runway, it went flat on the taxi way... Same problem, pin hole in the tube... RV friends came to my rescue and with the spare tube in my tool bag, was off and flying in an hour or so... Anyway, I think the pressure is a good point and if too low, will cause pinching of the tube... I used to keep it at around 22 to 25 psi (the outer edge of tire on ground theory) but since now at 30 +... Oh, those tubes are not available at any airport... might keep a spare in your tool bag... Sheldon

tire drag

I'm wondering if those of you that have had nose wheel tires rotate on the rim are using the orginal style Van's axle/wheel with its high drag. Could this instant drag/braking cause ratation? Anybody have a rotation using the new axle or the Grove nosewheel?

Bevan

I went through a flat after letting the wheel down after landing. Hard part was getting off the runway. I just went slloooow. I got out at the runup at the end of the runway, removed the pant and walked back to the hangar and got my air tank. I tried putting air in, but it went out as fast as I put it in. Soooo, I got back in the plane and taxied it back to the hangar real sloooow.

I removed the tire, the bead was broken, so the hard part was done. What I found was the stem ripped right off the tube. I ordered a new tire from Desser tire, and guess what, it is an 8ply tire, only two groves on the tread. A much nicer tire, and a new tube, in which they sent some tire talc. I installed the tire and tube and this time, pumped things up to 50lbs. I had 200hrs on the old tire with about 300 landings. I had things pumped to 35psi on the old tire. I think the tire moved on the rim and the tube pulled out the stem. Anyway my thinking is make sure nothing moves this time.

The new tire was 39 dollars and of course the same ol tube. I feel better with this tire.

That sounds like the way to go...What size and make tire was it from Desser? thx

new nosewheel tire from desser?

Can you check your invoice from Desser and post the part number of the tire & tube??

Thanks!

Dave,
I bought one of the new tires a few months ago.

It's an Aero Classic

Just do a search on their web site for "11/400-5" and you will see it.

desser aero classice nose tire

Thanks! that was the key info I needed.
I found this on the Desser site here

The details are:
11/400-5, 8 ply, 500 lb rating, Rib design, New Version, Aircraft Design, Deep 2 Rib

Do I need the aero tube on the same page or is a "Leakguard" tube available?

Tube

Dave,
I called Desser and they said that is not an Aero Classic tube (They don't make one for that tire size). The one they show is the same one Vans sells. I checked around several places and could not find an alternative.

BTW: ACS shows a tube listed under Aero Classic (correct size). I had them pull one off the shelf and they said it had "Cheng Shin" on the side of the box.

Last edited:
good nw tire / tube info

Thanks to all for the info. I'm going with the Grove nosewheel and am ordering my finish kit tomorrow... so I will delete the tire & tube and get them separately from Desser. Hopefully they will fit the Grove wheel..

Have a Merry Christmas all!

tube tears and Aero Classic tire

RV7A'ers, I've had two nose wheel flats in two years and 160 hours. The the first flat happened with the original Matco wheel supplied by Vans at about 45hours. The second flat happend about twenty hours after installing the Grove nose wheel at around 110 hours. After the second flat I order the Aero Classic tire and extra tubes.

Both flats were caused by small tears in the tube sidewall.

About 20 hours after installing the new Aero Classic tube, now being very cautious with tire pressure, I noticed tears in the side wall of the almost new Aero Classic tire! I called Desser and they overnighted me a new tire. Desser provided good service.

I don't believe any of this is related to my operation of the aircraft, at least I hope not. I use the general rule that the RV nose gear is a taxi aid, not a landing gear and I honestly don't remember any seriously botches crosswind landings. Why does this happen!

No problems here ....

Over 5 years and 1000+ hrs with no flats or problems whatsoever. I keep the pressure at 35min,50 max and change the tire every year whether it needs it or not (less than $50 for tire and tube). Last 2 years been using the new desser 8 ply but before that it was the std van's tire.

I would love to have another option but so far I have not had any issues.

My Father had a service station for 35 years and fixed a bunch of tube type tires. Here is one thing that he always did . Leave the valve core out and put air in the tube and then let it all of the air come back out. Do this two times. Then put the core back in and service to proper pressure. It eliminates folds in the tube.

Aero-Classic is not Aero-Classic?

My nose wheel tire from Vans is Aero Classic 11/400X5 but looks more like Aero-**** and is stamped made in China. I have another 11/400X5 Aero-classic tire I bought from another builder (slightly used) and it looks like MUCH better quality. I had the "new" Vans tire for quite some time so I'm not sure if the better looking tire is a newer version or older. Where do I buy another "better" quality nose tire?

Bevan

Matco sells a nose wheel tire, and Desser offers one... give them a call and get the scoop for us. :)

The tire Van's sent me was a Chin Shin lamb tire. I did get pretty good service out of the tire, will change it @ 300hrs next condition inspection.

Last edited:
Back