What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel flat

Ron Lee

Well Known Member
Two weeks ago I made another puppy flight. Flew to Ponca City OK, then Centennial (Denver) CO finally back home to get fuel then taxi back up to my hangar.

Back at my hangar, two guys noticed that my nose tire was going flat. I knew that it was a bit low when I started but considered it adequate. It was lower than in the morning and in a matter of minutes was totally flat.

I found a small tear/hole in the sidewall at the bottom (inner) side of a scuffed area. Actually the scuffed area was a ring around the tube and on both sides.

I installed a new tire and tube (used plenty of tire talc in the tire and one the tube), verified breakout force, lubed the fitting and opened a hole in the side of the wheel pant to make checking the tire pressure easier. After installing the new tire, I tried to gauge what the tire pressure was prior to the start of the days flying.

At this point the estimate is 20 psi but may have been lower. I can't positively say what lead to the failure but I am assuming that it was too low pressure. I am now using 40 PSI (partly as a result of the most recent noseover). The hole in the side of the wheelpant will make it easy to add air

I am buying a straight, long tire inflator from Jerry Farek so no excuses.

Today I opened up holes in the main tire wheelpants to make checking/adding air quick there as well. I will have to search the archives to find the spring loaded internal covers. Or I may just use press in, pop out plastic or rubber caps.

Of course to keep a spare tire and tube in the plane at all times, I ordered one nose tire and three tubes.

One other point is that I checked the inside of the new tire very closely. Some debris was in there so I will place the new one in a plastic bag to protect it while in the back.

Last edited:
Back