What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Wheel Fairing

srstephen

I'm New Here
I have damaged the front nose wheel fairing on my RV7A. New parts are in the mail. I was wondering if its ok to fly the plane w/out the front wheel nose fairing. Will this cause the wheel to "flutter" and/or will the nose wheel get "off center" & cause a problem during landing?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to VAF!!!!

Stephen, Welcome to VAF:D

Good to have you aboard.

I also flew quite a few hours sans the fairing/pant on the plane, in fact, Vans recommended doing so to help break in the engine.

Be sure your breakout force is in spec, and there should not be an issue that I can see.

I have had no fairing on the nose wheel for over 60 hours with no problem. Other than cosmetics and a bit of speed it doesn't seem necessary. I operate out of a couple of short grass strips, and will likely leave it off.

I have flown my -6A with and without the nose wheel fairing, and also different combinations of main wheel pants and gear leg fairings. No issues detected except for the expected trim requirements.

FYI, I also flew my RV-6A dozens of hours without the nosewheel fairing but Van's recommends against this practice in this November 9, 2007 service letter http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/Nose_gear_service_letter.pdf.

1. RV?s are designed to utilize Lycoming engines of specified horsepower and weight.
Changes to the aircraft that result in higher static nose gear weights than previously
demonstrated by Van?s Aircraft?s testing will result in a higher probability of nose
gear incidents.
2. Always operate your aircraft with the nose wheel fairing installed.
3. Nose wheel tire pressure should be maintained between 25psi and 35psi.
4. Keep the stick fully back when taxiing, especially after touchdown.
5. The nose gear on tricycle gear aircraft are not intended nor designed to sustain
?landing? loads. The nose gear is NOT a landing gear and is intended for ground
maneuvering after touchdown and deceleration.
6. Do not rely on hearsay or second hand information about runway and taxiway
conditions. Do NOT operate your aircraft on an ?unknown? surface!
7. Be proficient at ?go-arounds? in the event a landing becomes unmanageable.

Back