What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose wheel Bearing Replacement

yenduc

I'm New Here
I have an RV 7A that I completed nearly 4 years ago and have flown 450 hours so far. The only complaint I have had is that often on rough pavement or braking I get what feels like a shimmy. I have tried checking the brake-out force, adjusting the tire pressure, and balancing the front tire --- nothing solved the problem. Yesterday I took my front wheel and spacers to Antisplat in San Bernardino for Bearing replacement. He took out the tapered bearings and races and replaced them with sealed roller bearings and an internal spacer that allows you to torque the axle bolt. He also trimmed, trued and balanced the tire.

I am very pleased with the result. I put the wheel back on the plane and tightened the axle bolt. The airplane rolled out of the hanger with much less pull force than normal. I did high speed taxi tests (up to 70mph) with no shimmy, I landed with heavy braking and no shimmy, I went to Flabob airport which has a rougher runway surface than RAL and had no shimmy on landing, even under hard braking. In short a big difference -- the airplane taxis smoother and lands smoother.

Made a great little airplane even better.

Dave RV7A RAL

Wow, taxing at 70 mph and she did not want to leave the ground. Its got to be sight to see taxing at 70mph.

Back