What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose tires-Cheng Shin 11 x 4.00-5

Vern

Well Known Member
I inspected about 25 new RV sized nose tires this morning looking for one good one. I went thru both 6 and 8 ply stock. They were all defective in my opinion,and not suitable for aircraft.

All had a section of normal looking tread but as I rotated the tire, the centerline 'squareness' moved off to one side, giving the appearance that the tread was at an angle. I even put 42 psi in a tube in one trying to force it true in case the problem was storage or shipping crunch. Nope-it's defective manufacturing.

Use caution with this brand!

Take a look at this tire.

Desser tire, 11/400-5 8 PLY AERO CLASSIC? They are about twice the price of the Shen tires but advertise aircraft loads and speeds.

Similar Observation

I just got one of these tires from Van's to have in the plane as an emergency replacement tire. I also felt like the tread was off-center. Like Vern, I had attributed it to packing and lying on its side for an extended period of time. I also thought that when I placed the tube in the tire and inflated it the asymmetry would resolve (I have not had time to do that yet). If these tires and truly defective then it would seem that Van's needs to know this (if they don't already) and make some adjustments to those of us who have purchased them from Vans. Would like to know if others have found the same problems.

Peter K
9A

As anyone with a motorcycle background (street) will tell you, run from Cheng Shin like the plague. I don't think that company even knows what a proper tire looks like.

Back