What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose ribs on the Vertical Stab

Old story, lots of prior info here, try using the search function----be sure to reset the default search period to a year, or "any date".

Lots

"Lots" is a bit vague, but I would recommend doing more reduction versus too little. I was a bit conservative and paid for it with a couple small "dents" in the skin. Of course, those dents are required for membership in the -10 club :)

PS- within reason, I don't think you're going to compromise the strength of the rib by removing "more".

Edge Distance

Watch the edge distance to the nearest rivet holes on the rib. You don't want to take off too much. Sadly, I came upon this information after I finished the VS on my 10, so I am a "club member."

You don't have to take any material off of the flanges. People have fluted the web at the nose to pull the flanges together enough to avoid the 'dent'. You can also remove a little material from the web at the nose to facilitate bringing the flanges closer together there. It's also a good idea to bevel (or, better still, round) the leading edges of the flanges so they don't 'dig in' as they are inserted into the skin.

The problem is at the sharp radius at the front. The flange tabs are bent with (by necessity) a straight edge. This means that the corners are proud of the profile they should have. They therefore need to be removed.

I used the "corner" of the scotchbrite wheel. Take it easy as the material comes off REALLY quickly. You should end up with a scallop shape on the tabs.

Thanks all. Very helpful.

I'll make sure to not get too close to where the rivets will be. I read somewhere that drilled holes should not be closer than double the distance of the length of the rivet....or something along those lines.

Thanks all. Very helpful.

I'll make sure to not get too close to where the rivets will be. I read somewhere that drilled holes should not be closer than double the distance of the length of the rivet....or something along those lines.

In most cases, the distance from the center of the hole to the closest edge should be at least twice the diameter of the rivet. The skin to nose rib rivets in the VS are 3/32, so you should leave 3/16" from the center of the most forward rivet hole to the end of the rib flange.

In most cases, the distance from the center of the hole to the closest edge should be at least twice the diameter of the rivet. The skin to nose rib rivets in the VS are 3/32, so you should leave 3/16" from the center of the most forward rivet hole to the end of the rib flange.

Ah big difference. Thanks for the clarification.

Part of the dimple club....

I used some snips to take off some material. After that I deburred and fluted the flanges on the nose rib.

But... it wasn't enough :mad:

Oh well I will take it as a right of passage. Though the dimples it created are very very small.

I took off lots too and still got a couple of dents there. I had a few other dents here and there on the plane. I have not lost one bit of sleep. It is not a show plane. After 40 hours on the plane, 4 short family "break-in" trips...dents and all it is an AWESOME plane!!! I just think after I put it away...1% of the US population are active pilots and only 7,600+ can say they built an RV and 386+ built one like mine. I worked a full time job, then 25 hours/week on the plane. Keep deburring, clecoing, drilling, un-clecoing, priming, clecoing, riveting...so we can fly to some wonderful destinations.

I did what Phil did and also put a large flute in the web at the nose. My VS came out Ok, but I had a couple of dents in the HS the first time (that's not why I replaced the HS skins). The second time, I had no problems. I think the dents actually were caused by the bucking bar in that tight, curved space, not by the ribs. Everything was fine before I set the rivets. So the second time, I worked in short bursts of the gun with lower pressure and was very careful not to let a corner of the bucking bar touch the rib flange or skin.

Here you go.

Looking back on it I would just put one flute right on the tip of the nse rib. I worried about this way to much.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=22493

For some reason when I was looking for a fix for the bump problem I didn't come across that post. Hopefully others will have better luck. Mine is hardly noticeable.

Like Wayne said... "It is not a show plane."

Also it wouldn't be a home built without some sort of "character" right? :)

Patrick: Thanks for the heads up on the HS.

Back