What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear shimmy

GOFORIT

I'm New Here
Ten months ago I bought an 1995 RV-6A O-360 and have flown it 65 hrs since.I would love to get some info from the RV Pros. It has not had the nose gear SB done.
1. I am thinking about getting the nose gear Anti Splat brace, skid and bearing mode done and main wheel sealed bearings done. What do you think?
2. What type of grease do you use on nose wheel fork and wheel bearings?
3. Is there any type of maintenance manual available for an RV-6A O-360?
4. How much rudder cable tension or slack should there be?
5. I have Slick mags with 500 hrs, thinking about overhauling the left mag and installing electronic ign on right side. It is hard to start when cold ,will this help or do I need oil pan heater?
Sorry I have too many questions, but Thank You in Advance.

Eldon
Kelowna Canada

Welcome! to West Kelowna!

good to see you on the forum, a wealth of info here.
Lots of RV guys in the valley, especially Vernon...if you hit one of their meetings, or coffee clubs, you'd get at least a dozen opinions on all your queries.
I think we talked already about the nosegear on my -9a, but if you want to re-visit anything, give me a call. I've upgraded the nose yoke, added the matco axle spacer, and the A/S brace, and don't have any real shimmy problems.

I have an Electro-air ignition in the box, but do hear that starting is a plus with most electronics. If you don't have power, makes pre-heating in the winter a bit tougher eh?

Ten months ago I bought an 1995 RV-6A O-360 and have flown it 65 hrs since.I would love to get some info from the RV Pros. It has not had the nose gear SB done.
1. I am thinking about getting the nose gear Anti Splat brace, skid and bearing mode done and main wheel sealed bearings done. What do you think?
2. What type of grease do you use on nose wheel fork and wheel bearings?
3. Is there any type of maintenance manual available for an RV-6A O-360?
4. How much rudder cable tension or slack should there be?
5. I have Slick mags with 500 hrs, thinking about overhauling the left mag and installing electronic ign on right side. It is hard to start when cold ,will this help or do I need oil pan heater?
Sorry I have too many questions, but Thank You in Advance.

Eldon
Kelowna Canada

1. All good ideas, including the SB.
2. Aeroshell #5 or #6
3. Lycoming sells maintenance and parts manuals.
4. If the same as the -7, there is no tension mechanism. Your feet provide the tension.
5. Slick mags are not overhauled, per se. Send it/them in for inspection and repair as necessary (IRAN). More electronic ignitions are available than in the past. Which you choose depends on your needs and how complex the installation might be for you.

Back