What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nose gear leg checked for cracks done

turbo

Well Known Member
i am fortunate to have access to a machine shop with overhaul and repair facility for jet engine parts. i removed my gear leg and put it through for inspection for cracks. they blasted it with plastic beads to get to the metal then zygloo tested it for cracks. we checked both bolt hole areas and the bracket for the wheel stop. all checked out ok. with a fresh coat of paint it will be installed later today. thanks fred for encouraging me to do this. thanks for the help on the conditional inspection too. anyone in the area looking for a tour of ower facility are more than welcome. Twin Manufacturing MRO S. Windsor, Ct. will post a pic later of the installation with fred at skylark airport.

when updating to the new gear leg, will the existing wheel pant fit the new design?? thanks everyone. ;)
twin.gif

Last edited:
when updating to the new gear leg, will the existing wheel pant fit the new design??

If you have a single bracket on each side of the nose wheel pant, then it works with the new fork. If you have the older two brackets per side mount, then I am not sure but I'd advise you to update; the newer brackets are much easier to deal with.

Not sure which "old style" you have.

There are the old / old style, the ones before pressure recovery.

Then there are the pressure recovery style. If you have 4 brackets in the pressure recovery style nose wheel pants, then you are good to go with either the older (your original??) nose wheel fork, or the newer, shorter nose wheel fork. If you have this one, then you have to remove the nose wheel axle bolt to remove the wheel pants.

The "newer style" nose wheel fork can accept your existing nose wheel pants. But Van has now redesigned the aluminum mounting brackets so now there are two large brackets, one on each side of the pants. And you no longer need to remove the axle bolt to remove the pants...only loosen the bolt.

My intent was to use the newer style brackets on completely new fiberglass pants, and just remove and replace the pants on my -6A. The new nose wheel pants I received from Van's were in pretty bad shape, so bad in fact that I decided to use the existing pants on the shorter nose wheel fork.

Hope yours work out ok...

Is this an old design, or a new one?

If this is one of the original design nose gear, then the MOST important place to check for cracks is right below where it comes out of the engine mount.

In service, that is the ONLY place I have seen gear legs crack at. The bolt hole locations have rarely been an area of concern.

Now, if this is a newer style leg, (1.125 inch dia where it comes out of the engine mount, old ones are 1.00 inch), then it is very unlikely it will ever crack any where on the gear leg. It definitely won't hurt to check it though. Good peace of mind in case you are concerned about it.

If this is an old design, then PLEASE make sure it was checked where it comes out of the engine mount.

we checked ...........

at the point where it comes out of the motor mount [ per SB] and the lower area where the stop bracket bolts thru the lower leg. we checked the bracket also.
my wheel pants brackets are attached thru the axil bolt and forward of that with allen bolts. im hoping this will work with the new setup. what do you think? they are the new style pants.

Yes, it should fit...

...and a quick check will be to install your existing wheel pants to the new nose gear fork. You can do this before you put the new fork on the a/c.

how does this..........

look to work with the new fork? axil on the left, allen bolt on the right.
img1203o.jpg

Should work

Looks the same as mine and I upgraded to the new fork. Bolt on installation with no mods, well, except for the gear leg work to accept the new fork.

After I did the nose gear/fork mod, I made simular pant mounts like the newer style (don't need to remove the axle bolt type) using my orginal (skinny) pant... Took some fitting & experimating to make it work.. But now I can remove the pant easy... Sheldon

Say Ed....

...if you'll remove the bracket that the axle goes through, leave it attached to the axle and put a pair of nutplates on the bracket, the wheelpant can be removed without you having to take the axle out.

Best,

Back