What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear fit

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
Bolted the nose gear leg to the bottom of the fuselage today. With the upper edge of the angle at the top against the firewall, the bottom edge of the angle and the top of the vertical web behind the strut is a good 1/4 inch from the firewall. I know the instructions say to pre-load the gear strut before drilling out the holes, but will that angle really bend that much or do I have a problem with the strut?

Thanks

Wayne 120241

similar problem

Wayne:

I experienced a similar problem- not to that extent but around 3/16" at bottom of the flange and the web below the flange. I sent pictures to Van's and Ken Scott and I communicated several times on the topic. Firstly, it was clear my flange was not bent at 90 degrees. Ken suggested I could remove the nosegear and bend the flange carefully, which I did. With this, I was able to nearly get the flange flush from top to bottom. The web was still about 1/8 inch from the firewall at the top but Ken indicated this was okay (i.e. the web does not have to be in full contact with the firewall). After the engine was installed, my flange sat perfectly flat.

Jeff

New strut coming

After talking with Van's a couple of times and then finding the strut isn't parallel to the centerline of the aorplane (twisted right a bit) they're sending a new one, It will be interesting to see how this one does. My original strut was shipped Sept 09 so it stands a very good chance of being one of the less than perfect early struts.

Thanks for all the info

Wayne

another nose gear detail for the record...

When our nose gear was installed, the flange was OK, but the holes didn't line up with the holes in the firewall. I worried over that for awhile, but 2 months later when I received the powerplant kit, I found that the holes are drilled out to 3/8 to accept the lower engine mounts. A little misalignment of the holes doesn't matter.

Back