What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose Gear Fairing/Cowl Support Bracket Interference

SDClark

I'm New Here
Yesterday I attempted to put my Nose Gear Fairing on my -10 with the Cowl Support Bracket in place. The bracket interferes with the upper end of the fairing. It looks to me like the fairing will need to straddle the vertical part of the bracket. It looks like I'll need to trim a 1" x 4 - 5" section from the bottom end of the fairing so it will clear the bracket, shortening the hinge by that length. I suspect that will make getting the fairing hinge pin started even more challenging. Am I missing something? How have others dealt with this?

Thanks, Steve Clark
N110SC - Flying!

I am not at home and have no reference, but I sure don't remember anything of the sort. Did you trim per the plans? I don't believe my support bracket is even very close to the fairing upper end. Someone else may have a better recollection.

Make sure you trim per the plans. Also, the vertical support is offset somewhat. The screw hole that attaches the vertical support is directly on the centerline, and the support is 1/2" off center from there. The gear leg fairing will sit to the pilot side of the vertical portion of the support.

Over time mine broke at the top bend. I know others have had this too. I made my second one out of stainless and it is working better. More time on the stainless piece than the aluminum. I'm at 400 hours now.

Good point Sean. I also made mine out od .060. I only have 160 hours, but it still looks good. Based on all the reports of the vans provided part cracking, I would be sure to re make tis part out of something more substantial

Back