What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear bolt ream?

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
Does the nose gear bolt hole need to reamed with the motor mount like the mains did with the center gear mounts? I noticed that the bolt size is AN520A, rather than the AN522A on the mains. I reamed the mains, but now I need to know about the nose gear. The AN520A will not go into the hole as it is now.

Yes this definately needs to be a good fit, using a reamer is the way to go :D

Thanks Walt. I can't seem to find the size of the reamer in the instructions. Do you know what it is?

Last edited:
If you use a 0.311 reamer (maybe even 0.3115) you should have a very nice fit. That is what size is used when the gear legs are originally made.

If you use a 0.3125 (5/16) it will likely function OK, but not be as good as it could be.

Thanks Richard,

I just realized that the AN522A and AN520A bolts are the same width, one's just longer than the other. So the reamer (0.311) I used on the mains could be used on the front gear as well. I must be having brain withdrawal from OSH.

Another source for reamers

Smitty,
You can also peruse a good selection of reamers from Rutland Tool & Supply Co. online. Here's the .311 reamer I ordered from them recently for my upcoming wing mating:

https://www.shoprutlandtool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=21779

Just don't make the mistake I did at first. I saw a very good price on a carbide reamer and ordered it. When a tiny package arrived, I found .0311 reamer inside. VERY small! Watch those decimal places! Fortunately, they accepted my return and shipped out the proper .311 size right away.

Back