What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose fork screw fittings

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
For the nose fork, there is a MS15001-1 grease fitting on the front of the fork and two hex set screws on top. The top screws I see as being used to act as a stop for the turning action. The grease fitting purpose is obvious. I assume none of these need any specific torque, but are they semi-permanent and if so, would a lock-tite be a good thing here?

Your assumption is correct.
I suppose somebody is going to find a correct torque setting for the grease nipple but you are pretty safe in just making them tight.
On the hex set screws I used some locktight and that should be the last time you need to do anything to those screws.
You are making good progress, keep at it.

I had the head break off one of the hex set screws a year or so ago. I don't know how long it was broken before I removed the wheel pant during the condition inspection and found it was gone. Sheared off clean. I then broke an easy out trying to remove the remains of the bolt. I ended up taking the nose gear fork off and taking it to a local shop that had the equipment to drill the bolt out. They managed to do it without tearing up the hole and just re-tapped it for me. I rarely let anyone tow the airplane, but assume that one of those rare times must have been when it happened. I've thought about marking the wheel pant with "tow limit" marks like some other airplanes have, but have not done it yet.

Back