What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Normal Operating Ranges O-360?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
The manual that came with my engine doesn't have much info regarding correct operating ranges. My engine monitor (MVP-50) let's me set yellow, green and red ranges for just about everything but I don't know the correct values to use.

So far I've been able to find:
Oil Temp: Desired 180, Max 245 , Min 140 for continuous ops.

CHT: Max 435 for high power cruise & 400 for economy cruise. During break-in, 400 max.

Fuel Press: Max 8, desired 3, min 0.5
Fuel Flow - Range from 5.8 to 14.8

Does anyone have suggestions on Ranges setting (yellow, green, red) for: Fuel Flow, Fuel Press, Oil Press,Oil Temp,EGT, CHT.

Thanks.

Limitations

Rick,
Here are the figures I extracted from the Lycoming Manual for my IO-360M1.
If yoo would like it as a MS Word document, email me [email protected]

Hope this helps,
Pete.

ENGINE
Cylinder Head Temperature
Absolute Max 260?C
Longevity Limit
High Power Cruise 224?C
Econ Cruise 203?C
Lycoming Recommend maximum temperature change of 28?C per minute.
John Deaking Min Take-off CHT 100?C
Exhaust Gas Temperature
Max 900?C
Normal: 650?C to 760?C
Oil Pressure:
Minimum 55psi
Maximum 95psi
Idle 25 psi
Start-up, 115psi
Warm-up, 115psi
Taxi 115psi
Take-off 115psi
Oil Inlet Temperature
Maximum 118?C
Desired 82?C
Minimum Continuous 60?C
Oil Consumption
0.45 US QTS/Hr = 0.4 Litre/Hr at 75% Power
Oil Grade
Use STRAIGHT MINERAL Oil for First 50 hours OR until Oil Consumption has
stabilized.
Fuel Pressure :
Minimum ?2psi
Maximum 35psi

Centigrade

Rick,
Of course being an Aussie the figures are in Centigrade.
If you have trouble converting them let me know and I shall do it.

Pete.

Real Units

Gil,
Just to clarify things.

International Standard Atmosphere. Temperature 15?C and Atmospheric Pressure 1013.2mb. For Americans, still thinking in the era of Robert Boyle (1627-1691), who discovered Boyle?s Law and used a mercury barometer to prove it, the figure is 29.92?Hg

Systems....

Gil,
Just to clarify things.

International Standard Atmosphere. Temperature 15?C and Atmospheric Pressure 1013.2mb. For Americans, still thinking in the era of Robert Boyle (1627-1691), who discovered Boyle?s Law and used a mercury barometer to prove it, the figure is 29.92?Hg

Yes... but didn't the "Standard Atmosphere" folks blow it too.....:)

I bet they really aimed for the standard to be 1000 mb (one Bar) and missed....

So, if we can't use nice round numbers for standards, I'm happy (along with the FAA and my Mode C encoder) to stick with 29.92 to be the standard....:D

The other units are stuck in the age of Torricelli (1608-1647) and heck, the definition of the bar by these "Standard Atmosphere" folks is even younger than I am (defined in 1954...:)...)!!

gil A

On the wrond side of the earth

Gil,
Just to clarify things.

International Standard Atmosphere. Temperature 15ºC and Atmospheric Pressure 1013.2mb. For Americans, still thinking in the era of Robert Boyle (1627-1691), who discovered Boyle’s Law and used a mercury barometer to prove it, the figure is 29.92”Hg
James how can we trust you. Your toilets go the wrong way. You drive on the wrong side of the road. You cook shrimps on the barbie, and your winters are summers and summers winters; you're just on the wrong side of the planet. :D

Seriously we like using the size of the kings foot and the temperature of a cows took-us for our standards. Base 10 math is for lazy wussies. We have 8 or 12 of this, 16 of that, 32 of another. It takes a real man to figure out the kings standard. Metric is for them foreigners. :rolleyes:

(I remember in the 80's in college I had to solve problems both SI and English. It was a pain, but 20 years ago, going metric was the soon expected standard in the USA. Still waiting. I think we gave up. Too much inertia.)

Last edited:
Missed opportunity

I know, I know, George.
Down under and Down-and-Out.
We just have to live with it.

But yous blokes (as they say here) are missing a great opportunity to shaft me.
We use Km per hour and metres on the ground and KTS and feet in the air. Terribly inconsistent.

As far as your sticking with the 'British' system, it was explained to me that the USA was planning to go metric in the 80's but a few (100,000s) petitioned congress to stop it. And were successful. Well, down here in OZ, rotating the wrong way and standing upside down, we consider democracy is what the majority wants. So now you in the States are left with a bit of everything. 1/32" rivets that can be 3.5 of a 1/16" long. Now I have to ask you George. How can you have a decimal, 3.5, of a fraction, 1/16th.

Reminds me of the Hubble Telescope being built out of focus. Something about being design in mm and built in inches?

What fascinates me, as someone outside (Downunder) looking in (Up) is that, and this is only an observation, not a criticism, the USA contains, in the same breath, absolutely brilliant cutting edge technology and yet inexplicable conservatism?

Oh! By the way. The vast majority drive on the left. You can't compete in numbers with China, India and Japan.

But you are such a friendly bunch and I am suffering US withdrawal symtoms as I haven't been over since I bought my RV in person in Aurora.
Time to come over and have a few prawns on the Barbie with ya.

Pete.

Wrong error....

Reminds me of the Hubble Telescope being built out of focus. Something about being design in mm and built in inches?
Pete.

No.... the Hubble error was a manufacturing screw-up by Perkin-Elmer, and a NASA cost saving by not performing a final test (or a faulty test) of the whole system that would have caught the error...

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CEFDE1330F933A2575BC0A966958260

The units screw up was at JPL on a Mars Orbiter... oops!!!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/news/mco991110.html

gil A

PS I think an AN426-3-4.5 rivet designation makes complete sense....:) you just have look it up....:)

Conversion charts.

Confess to mixing up the JPL and Hubble bit.

As far as the 3.5 1/16ths". I did eventually figure it out Gil, using my vernier micrometer in inches mode and a "Decimal Equivalents of Inches" chart. But it all seems so unnecessary. Inches are fine, so are feet. If only there was 10 inches in a foot. It's the lack of metrication that I find loathsome.

And of course, I was bought up in the era of cubits, sovereigns and leagues and had to convert to metric in adult life. It is fascinating to me that YOU have always had decimal currency, but kept all the other Brit antiquity, hence my observation of conservatism.

In primary school we were required to be able to calculate the cost of 8 items costing nine shillings and sixpence, with twelve pennies in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound. I couldn't do it now.
So of course you can learn it. But it does seem unnessasarily complicated.

Interestingly, if I tell my boys that an RV7 is 25' span and is 7 metres long, they know exactly what I mean. Bilingual when it comes to measurements.
Pete.

Units and countries...

Confess to mixing up the JPL and Hubble bit.

As far as the 3.5 1/16ths". I did eventually figure it out Gil, using my vernier micrometer in inches mode and a "Decimal Equivalents of Inches" chart. But it all seems so unnecessary. Inches are fine, so are feet. If only there was 10 inches in a foot. It's the lack of metrication that I find loathsome.

And of course, I was bought up in the era of cubits, sovereigns and leagues and had to convert to metric in adult life. It is fascinating to me that YOU have always had decimal currency, but kept all the other Brit antiquity, hence my observation of conservatism.

In primary school we were required to be able to calculate the cost of 8 items costing nine shillings and sixpence, with twelve pennies in a shilling and 20 shillings in a pound. I couldn't do it now.
So of course you can learn it. But it does seem unnessasarily complicated.

Interestingly, if I tell my boys that an RV7 is 25' span and is 7 metres long, they know exactly what I mean. Bilingual when it comes to measurements.
Pete.

Pete... I was brought up in England, had the same Queen as you, and also did the cubits, furlongs, guineas, shillings, pence, etc. bit. They converted to decimal after I left.

The US system might be a nice decimal system, but is confusing to a new entrant when he is asked for nickels or dimes...
I could never find out why a 5 cent coin is a nickel or a 10 cent coin a dime....:) The quarter is obvious though. However, arithmetic is easy...

I'm still happy to work in feet and inches though....

I remember the Hubble screw-up since it came to light after Hughes Aircraft, who I worked for in Electro-Optics at the time, bought that division of Perkin Elmer...:eek:

gil A

Covered....

So what about those operating limits....

Chris

Covered in post #4

Rick... if you want the data in real units... ...you can check the Superior web site for their certified Vantage O-360 info.

http://www.superiorairparts.com/vantageManuals.asp#

Since it's a copy of the Lycoming O-360, the limits should be identical.

Check pages 93-94 of the Installation and Operation document for the info on defining the instrumentation ranges.

gil A

Last edited:
I can handle converting the numbers that Pete provided. Thanks.

The superiorairparts link doesn't work... even if delete everything after the .com.

The Lyc references that George provided have a lot of good info but I haven't had the chance to dig through them yet.

Looks like I still need to work on developing the details to set the ranges that I orginally asked about, but hey, I've learned something about the Hubble too!

Careful with Mr Fahrenheit's thermometer.

Rick,
You need to be careful converting my; "Lycoming Recommend maximum temperature change of 28?C per minute."

A temperature of 28?C converts to 82?F.
But this is not what you need.

What you a looking for is the conversion of a temperature DIFFERENCE of 28?C.
Should be calculated as follows;
CHT of 228?C equals 442?F
CHT of 200?C equals 392?C
Therefore 442?C-392?C = 50?F.

If you look at it, it is because Mr. Fahrenheit set freezing point of water at 32? and the Mr Celsius at 0?.

Pete.

Superior Engine web site

I can handle converting the numbers that Pete provided. Thanks.

The superiorairparts link doesn't work... even if delete everything after the .com.

The Lyc references that George provided have a lot of good info but I haven't had the chance to dig through them yet.

Looks like I still need to work on developing the details to set the ranges that I orginally asked about, but hey, I've learned something about the Hubble too!

Rick... there seems to be something wrong with the Superior web site... even the Google link to their press releases does not work.

I guess try again later, I didn't download the document...:mad:

gil A

Sent you the document...

Rick... there seems to be something wrong with the Superior web site... even the Google link to their press releases does not work.

I guess try again later, I didn't download the document...:mad:

gil A

Rick... apparently the Superior site came alive....:)

I downloaded the document and sent it to you via regular e-mail...

It's about 5 Mb, please let me know that it arrived intact...:)

gil A

Got - excellent reference

Thanks much Gil. Superior's manual is much better then the generic Lyc manual that I got from Mattituck.

Back