What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Normal omission in the plans?

Dave Taylor

Well Known Member
On RV-7 plans dwg 10A detail A (outboard stiffener) the plans call out to rivet the stiffener in assembly with the W-712 rib. I noticed the rivet just below and to the right of these 4 rivets call for a 426AD4-7 (flush rivet). Although it isn't stated in the plans and after a lot of web searching it appears that the 4 vertical rivets to the right of the 4 vertical outboard rivets should be riveted in assembly with W-414L (aileron hinge bracket assembly). I was a bit confused since I didn't see this note in the plans. Is this omission something you see a lot of or a rare instance? Or maybe I missed it somewhere. I almost countersunk the stiffener since it called out for the AN426 flush rivet. Thank goodness for the websites that have pictures.

...Is this omission something you see a lot of or a rare instance? Or maybe I missed it somewhere...
Dave,

There are mistakes, errors, and omissions in the plans and on many builder?s web sites, including one very popular builder's site.

Take your time, read ahead, look ahead, assume nothing, trust no one, and verify everything and you will be fine. (OK, it really isn't that bad.)

Do your homework

Thanks Bill,
I've messed up my fair share of parts and I'm just starting the wings. For the most part I read the instructions, look at the plans and compare web sites mostly from guys that are flying. When things don't look right I question it. Maybe I'll be flying by 2020 :)

Dave,

There are mistakes, errors, and omissions in the plans and on many builder?s web sites, including one very popular builder's site.

Take your time, read ahead, look ahead, assume nothing, trust no one, and verify everything and you will be fine. (OK, it really isn't that bad.)

Back