What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non Slip Rudder Pedals

MNRVFlyer

Well Known Member
Hi,

I was wondering how to finish the front my rudder pedals. I thought about using non skid tape (like the kind Vans uses on the wing root for no slipping). Anyone have experience with this? Are "slippery" pedals better so you can move your feet up/down easily? TIA.

Herculiner

Hi Paul,

I used Herculiner PU truck bed lining material on the pedals and on my floorboards. Looks good, easy to clean, and have had no issues with slipping. Seems to be really resistant to wear, too.

Available at Wally World, Parts stores and Menards in Black, red and gray.

Nothing work great.

My feet don't slip.
If you want it to look pretty, go ahead and cover it with something.

Kent

Non-skid rudder pedals

I not only put non-skid on my rudder pedals, I also put a piece of rubber hose on the horizontal part of the pedal, and spiral-wrapped non-skid on that as well. I'm short so I wanted to build up the rudder pedals a bit.
I'm not flying yet, but they feel great just sitting in the cockpit...

I personally like to be able to slide my feet up and down on the pedals - when landing, I make sure to touch down with my heels on the floor to keep my toes off the brakes, and then slide my feet up once I have the airplane planted on the ground. Taking my feet off to move them up would scare me. Not saying you can't have some sort of finish, but with my style of flying, I like to be able to slide my feet a bit.

YMMV of course

Paul

The "pedals" are for the brakes

Remember that the "pedals" are for the brakes. The rudder is operated by pushing on the bars below the pedals with your heels. Generally speaking, you don't want to use the brake pedals to opearte the rudder.

Hi Paul,

I used Herculiner PU truck bed lining material on the pedals and on my floorboards. Looks good, easy to clean, and have had no issues with slipping. Seems to be really resistant to wear, too.

Available at Wally World, Parts stores and Menards in Black, red and gray.

Hi Pete,

Do you think I can get away with just buying a can of it, or do I need the complete "kit"? I assume it brushes on? I'll email you later. I still want a ride, Stein's defingerization slowed me down a bit. Thanks!!!

I have no issues with slipping with the standard powder coating. I also do not operate my rudder with feet on the bottom, but more from the sides to keep my feet off of the brakes. This was a tip from Mike Seager. I slip the balls of my feet sideways, kind of like a heal and toe, if I feel I need to tap the brakes, but move my feet to the bottom once I have slowed to the point that I actually want to use my brakes. I try to keep off of the brakes as much as possible and prefer to roll out longer rather than use them. Of course, taxiways, and other factors dictate how much I use those brakes.
I have found that the geometry of the rudder weldment on my 6 and angle of the brakes makes it very easy to apply brakes when you really dont want them. Even when taxiing it is easy to have some pressure applied and not know it. I think a lot of RV's wear their brakes out early due to this inadvertent action.
So, if you are going to put anti-slip on those bars, I would recommend putting it up the sides too. You may find that the sides is where your feet end up.

Paul - just need a small can

I might have some left in the garage. Contact me when you are free - Come see the plane to see if you like the pedal finish and we'll work in a ride as well.

I'll be at the hangar this weekend getting the plane ready for LOE.

Back