What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

non aerobatic?

ksauce

Well Known Member
Patron
Looking over my Airworthiness certificate I noticed that Aerobatic flight is prohibited in my 6a. As I really want to start acro training, is there anything I can do to remove the restriction? I am not the builder.

Last edited:
Yes...

You will need to have your operating limitations and airworthiness certificate amended to include aerobatic flight. This can be done by your local FSDO or a DAR with function code 33.
Typically it is just a paperwork thing, however the inspector has the option of inspecting the aircraft. And in this case, he probably would want to inspect it. Since the aircraft was originally certificated "not for aerobatics" there is a possibility that the original builder made some kind of change that might prohibit aerobatics.
Also, you will have to place the aircraft back into phase I to perform the required aerobatic testing.

Last edited:
About the only problem I could see would be prolonged inverted flight without a flop tube and inverted oil system. My -6A is certified for a limited set of maneuvers: loops, rolls, etc. I had to submit the list and then they had to be flown in the 40 hours before being legal. Since I'm not an aerobatic pilot, I got my test pilot to do them. I'd expect that if you request if of the FSDO as Mel said, then they will amend your limitations with the proviso that you will have to fly them in Phase I before returning the plane to Phase II.

Since the aircraft was originally certificated "not for aerobatics" there is a possibility that the original builder made some kind of change that might prohibit aerobatics.

Thanks Mel, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. I think the impetus behind the acro ban was the original engine. The builder originally hung a Chevy V6 on the nose. After a few hours, he decided he didn't like it and put a mid time 320 on it.

In all honesty, I want to have it inspected anyway with an eye toward acro just to make sure the wings won't fall off in a 4g pull. I've got a conditional coming up so maybe I'll attempt to combine the two as I don't have a hangar. Mel, how many hours would you like to see in phase 1 again? Do you fancy a trip to Vegas to do the inspection?

I have no problem coming to Vegas for an inspection.
My guess is that you could probably do a pretty good acro checkout in less than 10 hrs.

Back