What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noise

infltc2s

Once I start this -7 project in my garage I'm concerned about the noise I'll be inflecting on the fam as well as the neighbors. If I purchase all the air devices possible ie. squeeser, ect. how much of the acft will I have no choice in using the noisy rivet gun and bucking bar? Alot, not much, some......Just curious what the reality of this was.

infltc2s said:
Once I start this -7 project in my garage I'm concerned about the noise I'll be inflecting on the fam as well as the neighbors. If I purchase all the air devices possible ie. squeeser, ect. how much of the acft will I have no choice in using the noisy rivet gun and bucking bar? Alot, not much, some......Just curious what the reality of this was.

Yes you'll make some noise, but it isn't really that bad. I live in a very dense housing development (6' between me and my neighbors houses). Three things:

* Placed air compressor in garage (which was in the 'middle' of the house and less likely to be heard by neighbors)

* Use an oiled compressor rather than oilless

* Don't rivet after 10pm

I kept checking with neighbors and they said they never had a problem. On the weekends I'd frequently have the garage open and they mostly just thought it was friggen cool.

Do what I did when the neighbors stopped by...hand them a bucking bar and tell them to get to work!!

Oh....it helps if the neighbors are pilots...:)

Seriously, Kevin's suggestions are good ones.

Paul

When I built my airplane, I lived in a neighborhood with very small distances between houses - 20' if I remember correctly.

I went to my immediate neighbors when the opportunity arose (for instance, when they were out cutting the grass) and explained that I was about to begin building an airplane in the garage. I went on to ask them to come directly to me if anything I did on the airplane *ever* bothered them and I would make sure it didn't happen again.

Beyond that, I didn't do any late evening riveting or dimpling with the C-frame tool unless the garage door was closed.

Even when I painted the airplane, I didn't have any complaints. Everyone around me knew what I was doing, because I did a good job of communicating with them. Also, I painted mostly after dark. ;-)

One more for Kevin's list... you could always get a stealth dimpler (aka DRDT-2). I often save dimpling until late in the evening, because I know I can do it silently.

Oiled Compressor!

Everyone has the right idea on this one. Talk about night and day. Am still jealous of all my friends with quiet oiled compressors. Since I am not building anymore hard to justify the expense, but go oiled, your ears won't regret it!

Many happy times working on your project,

Rob

A little perspective: Riveting is quieter than my riding mower. And you will be riveting indoors, which will reduce the noise the neighbors will hear.

I would ask other builders in your area for recommendations on quieter compressors. Compressor noise is often more of an annoyance for the builder than the neighbors.

Oil-less compressors are noisy when recharging so the trick to keeping the noise down is to use as little air as possible. Rivet guns are intermittently noisy and use very little air but air drills are annoyingly noisey and will discharge a compressed air tank in no time, thus creating more noise on the recharge cycle.

I've reached the 95% mark on my RV6 with a trusty DeWalt 14.4V drill, an Avery hand squeezer and hammered rivets when necessary.

If I was doing it over though I'd invest in an oiled compressor - it's cheap in the overall scheme of things.

Jim Sharkey's 2 cents :)

I built a sound box for my loud $125 harbor freight air compressor. It was driving me nuts even with hearing protection. I set up the box and compressor outside next to the garage and it works great. I painted it and set it behind the fence so no one sees it. I set up a remote switch too. My neighbor is 8 ft away and has never complained. It is about as loud as my air conditioner.

The sound box is made with a wooden box frame and lined it with 2" blanket insulation from Lowes.

I have been using it for almost two years and it works great.

I do rivet with the garage door shut.

-Ron

Time with the rivet gun is only a very small percentage of the total building time, so you should be able to schedule that work at suitable times. You will use the air compressor a lot though, for the air drill, die grinder, rivet squeezer (if you buy one), painting, etc. So buy a quiet compressor and you have solved most of the noise problem.

Look at it this way. It's a good way to finally meet your neighbors. They'll come over like mine did and say "What the **** are you pounding on?" Once you explain it to them and they really are amazed that you can actually build an airplane in your garage, they tend to forget about the noise. I actually close the doors if I have alot of riveting to do with no let up, but if it is for short bursts, let'r buck. The ones that complain, just make a mental note that no rides for them.

electric drill

Recommend using an electric (battery) drill. Makita, Dewalt etc. Saves on compressor noise as well as electricity. Nine to twelve volts is a good choice. And no air cords to trip over.

Quiet Compressor

I live in an airpark. The neigbors would check on me when they DIDN'T hear noise :rolleyes:

Get the quietest compressor you can. Spend the money and get a good one. As noted, the use of the rivet gun is a small percentage of the build. Plan those out for the appropriate time.

If you live in a questionable neighborhood the riveting could be construed as gunfire :eek: Be prepared for the police to pay a visit. Happened to a friend.

In any case, it has to be better than the guy who's hobby is dirt bike riding!!!!

Back