What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noise while taxiing

dromuald

I am looking for a little perspective this issue, there are not many -8s in my neighborhood. I want to know if this is typical or if I might have a landing gear or airframe issue.

As I taxi the airplane I hear and subtly feel irregularities in the pavement surface. If I accidentally taxi over a tie down point on the apron it is pretty noticeable. Taxiing across expansion cracks is less dramatic but still annoying.

In my quest to dampen this phenomenon I found that the tailwheel casting that attaches to the stinger was loose. The holes had enlarged and although the bolts were tight the casting moved on the shaft. I solved this by installing taper pins (as described on this site) and I have eliminated that as a source.

I also inspected my MLG to ensure they were secure. I did find that the outer bolts were a little loose and have tightened them to spec, although I don't have the .030" gap on all four corners of the saddle. There is some gap primarily at the inside front of the joint. There doesn't seem to be much of a gap at either of the outer corners of 803 and a marginal gap at the aft inner corner on both sides (difficult to measure due to brake line). My assessment is that the MLG are secure, I have tried to move them while on jacks and they don't move at all, although I can't generate the force of a typical taxi or landing situation. I will be discussing options with my A&P to bring my MLG back into compliance according to the plans.

So my focus now is on where the TW stinger fits into the weldment on the airframe. I understand this shaft is held in place by one bolt and it too can become loose. I haven't figured out a good way to lift the tail to assess this possibility but when I have my condition check done next month I am sure my A&P will. I have read on this site that the bolt may elongate the hole and that a taper pin can offer a solution.

I am looking for perspective or experience with this type of issue. Maybe it is normal for a TW aircraft with a solid small diameter tailwheel to transmit noise and vibration? It is difficult to quantify the degree to which this occurs, but if other -8s also sense this phenomenon I may be chasing a non issue. If this is not typical I have some more investigating to do.

Hard to tell by description, but this sounds pretty normal to me. Check the spring but I bet your fine.

The tail spring socket weldment (WD-409) is bolted to the two rearmost fuselage bulkheads with AN-4's. They can loosen over time; check 'em.

Back