What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Noise while building an RV12

ymc9

I'm New Here
Hello, guys. I've been dreaming about building an RV, and I think the opportunity has finally come. I live in a townhouse with a two-car garage, so it seems like I should have sufficient workspace for the job. However, I'm a bit worried about the noise generated during the build process since mine is not a detached home. Could you advise me on the overall level of noise? I don't want to bother my neighbors 😄. Thanks!

Air tools and compressors are typically the noisiest. You don’t have to use them as other options exist.

Since the 12 is mostly pulled rivets, you should be fine.

I agree w/ Brantel -- the majority of the noise will be from the compressor, which will probably be needed to drive a rivet puller (unless you are planning doing all pulls manually.) I selected my compressor based on noise ratings and was able to build my -12 in my basement. I work random shifts around the clock and would often be working on my project well after midnight. Neither my family nor neighbors complained.

There are almost always multiple ways to do things, and you can select methods that are more quiet for many tasks. With an RV-12 build, you will be doing mostly blind rivets, so that part will be much quieter.

I have a California Air Tools 2-gallon compressor that I do literally everything with, drilling, grinding, rivet gunning, cleaning, spraying. People have giggled at me when they saw how small my compressor is, but I'm telling you this thing is a workhorse, and it is so quiet it makes people's eyebrows raise. I live in an apartment building and I would use this inside my apartment no question, and I don't believe anyone would even notice.

The noise comparison video in this link is realistic, that's really how quiet it is.

I own an RV-12 and have done a lot of structural work to it (service bulletins etc), all with this compressor. I'm so happy with it that I'm about to start an RV-9A build and have no immediate intentions on upgrading the compressor simply because I haven't seen any need to.

I had a very similar situation for a portion of my build. I voluntarily limited my noisy events to before 2130 or so. There are always plenty of things to do after "quiet hours".

Thank you for the answers, guys. Very assuring! I definitely need to learn more about air compressors. I've never used one in my life yet :LOL:

Thank you for the answers, guys. Very assuring! I definitely need to learn more about air compressors. I've never used one in my life yet :LOL:
I have the same compressor as Eriselle in my garage and I have to agree. It is unbelievably quite. You can actually stand next to it while it is running and have a normal conversation.

If you DO get a loud compressor, you can always build a sound proof enclosure around it. Just make sure you provide airflow over the piston fins so that it doesn't overheat!

With the advancements in battery powered tools, I don't know that an air compressor is even needed for the 12.

Since moving into my new house, I don't like firing up the 80 gallon air compressor after the kids go to bed. So I picked up a 12 volt Milwaukee Fuel drill. Liked it so much that I almost never use my air drill anymore. (Even during the daytime.) Don't have to mess with turning the compressor on, oiling the drill, pulling the air hose to wherever I'm working, and having to drain the water out of the compressor tank at the end of the night. Just grab a battery and get started. I've since picked up their rivet puller, band file, cutoff tool and die grinder.

Back