What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No VOR airplane - Miss RCO Rx?

Loboflyer

In building an aircraft with no VOR receivers, have any of you found that you have wished you had one just for FSS communication receive over VOR audio?

Most of the VORs out here are full RCO systems, but we do still have a few that are receive only in the comm band. It's too bad the A210 won't receive down to VOR range just for audio.

In building an aircraft with no VOR receivers, have any of you found that you have wished you had one just for FSS communication receive over VOR audio?

Most of the VORs out here are full RCO systems, but we do still have a few that are receive only in the comm band. It's too bad the A210 won't receive down to VOR range just for audio.

Jeff, I haven't missed that capability. There are lots of other options these days. It used to be useful for things like closing flight plans but we have cell phones these days.

In the course of my day job I pay a lot of attention to VOR voice capability, and there are fewer and fewer VORs...probably down in the 15-20% range, that retain voice capability over the VOR frequency. Most have VHF two-way comm through RCOs installed at the VOR for communication with FSS. They are still out there, but it would be hard to justify installing a VOR receiver just for that feature.

I built with one and later added another but...

I built with one and later added another but I almost never use the com feature for FSS.

Bob Axsom

Me either

My aircraft is equipped for IFR, but I didn't install a VOR either...don't think the RCO will be a problem for the kind of flying I plan to do.

The XCom radios will receive VOR frequencies, so you can listen to the receive side of Flight Watch or FSS while in dual-mode with the VOR freq dialed in on the standby. Many AWOS's are still on VOR frequencies if the VOR is on the airport.

Last edited:
That's kind of what I thought, that most people aren't missing their VOR audio. We'd consider the XCOMs, but already have two shiny A210s awaiting install. There's a 1/2 tray Terra VOR receiver that if we can split from the com receiver and can find a spot in the panel, we might consider reinstalling it.

Back