What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No overlap on right side of cowl

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Seems to be the season for cowl work. ;)

I'm working on the 1st step of cowling and I've got the prop area nice and round. I'm a little concerned about the right side (bottom of photo) as I don't have any overlap. Whereas, the left has about 3/8" inch of overlap. Keep in mind, I haven't trimmed in these area yet.

adl.sized.jpg

Is this going to work itself out when I start fitting the cowls to the plane or am I going to have to grow the fiberglass back like Vlad? :D

Thanks,

You will grow but less.:D Starting from here do not rush. It's looking good so far.

David I saw (it was too late) some builders drilled spinner bulkhead through required wood spacer through fiberglass cowl in three places to fixate all contraption. It is good idea to nail everything on the front nice and steady before trimming the back. The holes won't be visible under spinner in metal and could be easily filled in fiberglass later.

Last edited:
Looks like you'll be just fine. Also, don't try and mate the top and bottom too tight as you will need paint room.

I say trim the other spots to make it come together at the outer edges. Don't focus too much on making the spinner area come out "round". The rest of the cowl doesn't care, and to gain the 1/8-1/4" at the outside joint doesn't require a whole lot of change at the centerline.

Looks good

Like Scott said, I wouldn't worry to much about the roundness, not yet anyway, the most important thing is that the fit between the upper and lower cowl at the overlap area fits well and comes all the way together. To achieve this on my pepto pink cowl on my 8 I had to cut a few inches back on each side of the air inlet, both upper and lower, to let the front slide together, looks like you don't have to, so cool. Looks like you have a good start going.

Randy
8A finishing & FWF

David,

If you're worried about how the spinner is going to fit at this point, you can forget about it. It will change more than once... :eek: That's an easy fit later down the road.

-d-

Thanks guys...

I'm headed out to the garage to fit the top cowl. I'll be sure to hold it in place!

/\/elson

Back