What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No More LODA for EAB

Couldn't find the wording in the actual bill, but this only fixes last year's mess-up right? If you want to officially advertise transition training in your plane, you still need the "old style" LODA correct?

Couldn't find the wording in the actual bill, but this only fixes last year's mess-up right? If you want to officially advertise transition training in your plane, you still need the "old style" LODA correct?

And the FAR fix only took 1.5 years, as opposed to the original 3 year estimate!!
Yes, to do for-hire transition training in your EAB, you need the dozen year old LODA. Many people including myself no longer offer transition training due to the increased insurance cost to cover dual for hire.

The insurance companies are going to paint themselves into a corner soon.

It's a good thing that the FAA allows for additional pilot to fly during the phase 1 flight testing for the Vans aircraft. There is at least one builder I know who did familiarization flight with the test pilot until he became proficient to fly solo on his Zenith.

It's a good thing that the FAA allows for additional pilot to fly during the phase 1 flight testing for the Vans aircraft. There is at least one builder I know who did familiarization flight with the test pilot until he became proficient to fly solo on his Zenith.

Of course pilot training was not supposed to be the reason for the ‘second pilot in phase 1’ rule, although some ‘familiarization’ is bound to happen. I can see a potential legal problem, as insurance companies want to see ‘dual logged’ while the FAA does not.

Insurance. Many fly without. It's not a FAR. With that said you prang it you bought it. With cost of planes skyrocketing insurance goes up. I do think they gouge vs. real loss. Aircraft is a tiny market. Millions of cars and homes and competition of underwriters produces lower premiums. No competition of aircraft insurance companies.

Yes I did/do transition training in EAB, but no longer in my own plane. I have personal liability only. There are real legal and financial liability as a CFI.

Back