What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No Amp Meter

RONSIM

Well Known Member
The -6A I just bought has lots of nice displays/sensors -- i.e. fuel totalizer, 4 cyl engine monitor, volt meter, outside temp, super clock, Dynon 10A, Trio EZ pilot, etc. etc. -- HOWEVER, no load/amp metering. I have never had an airplane without some display of system load.

Any suggestions for electrical load monitoring?

Ron

Check the "setup" on the D10A. It may have a shunt installed in the system but just may not be set up to display amps. If no shunt you can get one from Dynon and then get amps to display.

Ron, here's my suggestion. Buy a Van's ammeter (part number IE VAM40) and shunt (IE VAMSHUNT40). Current prices are $62 for the pair although I'd wager you can find a used set for less that someone has removed in favor of a new EIS installation.

There are multiple places in which to install the shunt but I suggest installing it in the alternator B-lead, right next to the protection device (i.e. ANL current limiter) on the firewall if you have one there. Reason: it's easy and it's relatively safe (against shorting and sparking).

The pundits will tell you a shunt in that location measures only alternator output. True enough, but when the battery is fully charged (which should happen a few minutes after engine start), alternator output /is/ the sum of all load currents. You can turn on your landing lights, pitot heat, heated seats, etc. and see a current increase corresponding to each device's usage. Of course, you can also see the total current being supplied by the alternator.

It's nice to see my B&C 40A alternator supplying only 9A for the EFIS, radio, intercom, etc. under normal ops <g>.

--
Joe

Ordered a temporary one

Joe --- thanks for the help ---- since I will eventually do away with seven separate engine instruments on my panel in favor of a Dynon EMS, I ordered a Chinese digital ammeter and 100A shunt -- This will allow me to keep tabs on things until I do the panel "right" -- I will wire it as you suggest.

Ron

Back