What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nice RV-12 Review in November Sport Aviation

jte65

Well Known Member
I received my November issue of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine yesterday and as alluded to by Vans in some one of their prior updates, it contains a very nice review of the RV-12. Very positive review in all respects. In fact, there is a suggestion that the author (prior military and airline pilot) had an anti-Rotax bias going in but came out of the review as an advocate. Not sure if the November issue is available yet on the EAA website but EAA members who do not receive the magazine should be able to pull it up there.

Eagerly waiting

Been waiting to see that article for a month...maybe it's in the mailbox today.

Not only is it a good article, but VAF made the cover of the magazine!! (Take a look at the hat the Pilot is wearing....). I guess this is a "Score!" for Doug!

Paul

Waiting...

Still no Sport Aviation Mag with the RV-12 review. With all the political propaganda in the mail right now, I am sure there is a backup somewhere with the USPS.

Question about RV-12

I was looking at the cover of the Nov Sport Aviation magazine and saw the VAF hat as well as something weird on the spinner of the RV-12. Sure enough when I looked at page 29 of the magazine I saw what looks to be a piece of fuel line sticking out on the spinner. Does anyone know what it is and it?s function?

Pitot Tube

I'm pretty sure that tube sticking out of the spinner is the pitot tube. Pretty fancy huh?

Can someone scan and post the article for us to read!!!

Jim
Wings waiting at airport for collection next week.

I doubt DR wants copyrighted material posted here. Notice that the link to the Kitplanes article is from Kitplanes' own site.

I was looking at the cover of the Nov Sport Aviation magazine and saw the VAF hat as well as something weird on the spinner of the RV-12. Sure enough when I looked at page 29 of the magazine I saw what looks to be a piece of fuel line sticking out on the spinner. Does anyone know what it is and it’s function?

Bob's right. Here are two of pictures that Jerry took at Sun 'n Fun:

100_5411.jpg

100_5420.jpg

If you look close, you can see in the second picture it has a "technical bevel" to allow it to handle high AOA situations. The reason it is there is to simplify the wing removal process. Thanks for the good pictures, Jerry!

--Bill

How does that work???? Is the pitot tube stationary? And could it be done on other airplanes or is due to the way the rotax engine is implemented? :confused:

How does that work???? Is the pitot tube stationary? And could it be done on other airplanes or is due to the way the rotax engine is implemented? :confused:

Yes, it's stationary.

It can be done on any airplane with a hollow prop shaft (like the gear reduction Rotax)

There would be no benefit to having it on other airplanes. It is only on the RV-12 because of the quick removal wings...no pitot connection issues or pitot tube that could get damaged

Lauran Paine, Jr. the author

I received my November issue of EAA's Sport Aviation magazine yesterday and as alluded to by Vans in some one of their prior updates, it contains a very nice review of the RV-12. Very positive review in all respects. In fact, there is a suggestion that the author (prior military and airline pilot) had an anti-Rotax bias going in but came out of the review as an advocate. Not sure if the November issue is available yet on the EAA website but EAA members who do not receive the magazine should be able to pull it up there.

This thread makes me think you guys don't know who Lauran Paine, Jr. is. HE'S ONE OF US!!!

Not only is he an RV-8 builder and pilot, he's also a monthly contributor to Sport Aviation magazine. If you are an EAA member, :rolleyes: the magazine comes with your membership. I look forward to reading Mr. Paine's column every month, not just because he's an RV pilot, but because he shares his flying experiences in military, commercial and experimental aircraft with the writing style he obviously inherited from his dad, the famous novelist, Lauran Paine.

Very few authors have the flying experiences he has plus the ability to share those experiences the way he does.

Don

Not only is he an RV-8 builder and pilot, he's also a monthly contributor to Sport Aviation magazine. If you are an EAA member, :rolleyes: the magazine comes with your membership. I look forward to reading Mr. Paine's column every month, not just because he's an RV pilot, but because he shares his flying experiences in military, commercial and experimental aircraft with the writing style he obviously inherited from his dad, the famous novelist, Lauran Paine.

He also writes a column for Pilot Getaways magazine, which is equally great.

mcb

RV-12 Trailer

Noticed from the article a very short reference to the fact that trailer manufacturers have visited Vans in order to take measurements.:cool:

Thats good in my mind - wonder what it'll cost??? Anyone in So-cal want to split the costs and share a trailer or would that be too complicated, not wise legally, etc. :(Your thoughts???

After all this...

I have to mention that Lauren is also a member of EAA 292...and we all think he's a good guy. But don't let that sway you, LOL!

Back