What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Niagra Falls Oil Cooler

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
RV7A with Niagra Falls oil cooler.
Anyone with experience - please tell me if it is better or the same than the one Vans supply. Many thanks.

Van's usually does supply the Niagara NDM oil coolers with the kits.

Typically a small NDM 7-row cooler is supplied for O-320 and O-360 kits, but this cooler is almost always way too small for high performance IO-360 engines, especially if equipped with ECI cylinders and/or piston oil squirt nozzles in the crankcase. Those engines usually need a 9 or 10-row oil cooler (Aero Classic / Pacific Oil Coolers makes good oil coolers in this size), or one of the very expensive Stewart Warner oil coolers.

In my past experience with an IO-360 on an RV-8 (the plane in my avatar) and that of friend who put an IO-360 in his RV-7 and other Vans Air Force folks who had difficulty with high oil temperatures in RV-7s and -8s over the past couple years with IO-360 engines (the parallel valve versions, the angle-valve 200hp IO-360 absolutely needs a huge oil cooler, usually the giant 13-row unit that is normally also the same cooler used on IO-540 6-cylinder engines)... I would strongly recommend not to waste your time with the small 7-row Niagara oil cooler on any IO-360 unless you only intend to fly in wintertime, arctic/antarctic areas!

If your engine is the parallel valve IO-360, then here is what I recommend:
The RV-7 doesn't have much space on the cylinder #4 rear engine baffle to mount a very large oil cooler. About the biggest ones anybody has been able to fit are the SW10599R or the SW8432R or the Aero Classic (Pacific Oil Cooler) 9 row #8000074 or 10-row #8000081 coolers. The SW brand is very expensive, but probably the best-made coolers on the entire planet. The Aero Classic coolers are well-made too, but substantially less expensive than SW. We put the SW10599R on the RV-8 in my avatar and it works very well except for very hot Texas summer days, when the oil temp can still get above 220 deg F if you don't manage the engine's heat output very carefully.

Pics of the installation can be seen in this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=65412&highlight=SW8432R

My buddy who recently finished his RV-7 with an IO-360 went with the Aero Classic 9-row, and probably wishes now that he'd bought the 10-row cooler instead and forced it to fit somehow.

If you still haven't used up all the area on your firewall, lots of -7 builders have mounted their larger oil coolers there, and run SCAT ducts to feed cooling air to them.

If your engine happens to be the 200hp angle-valve IO-360, then you'll have to mount a big 13-row cooler somewhere (firewall, engine mount frame, etc) and fabricate ductwork for it.

Last edited:
Back