What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Niagara OIL cooler

Steve Lutte

Patron
Good Day,
On June 22nd during a flight from KOWP to KCXO our oil cooler failed. Aircraft is N919L Built by myself, Stephen T. Lutte SN 42016 Engine is an IO540 thunderbolt purchased new.
The oil cooler was supplied by Vans Aircraft and is manufactured by AAVID NIAGARA. The flight was 2.5 hours at an altitude of 13500 feet. We had approximately 10 quarts of oil (20 W 50 Phillips victory) when we departed KOWP. After landing at KCXO it was evident that we had lost a large portion of our oil. 3 quarts remained in the engine after we landed. The cooler was removed and I pressure tested it at 15 psi and the leak was evident below the 90° AN fitting and the related boss. No leaks around the boss weld. During the build, the oil cooler fittings were assembled onto the oil cooler using two wrenches and the oil cooler fittings were assembled and clocked on the bench. The oil lines were placed in accordance with FF5. There is a clamp on one line securing it to the engine mount. There is no clamp on the other oil line on the side of the cooler where the leak was. That line runs from the cooler straight to the engine with no supporting clamps. All of the oil lines are FAA certified, and I believe I purchased them at Aircraft Spruce. At the time of the failure, the aircraft had 244 hours and has been in service since October 19, 2021. We never lost oil pressure or had any rise in oil temperature. We definitely got lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpeg
    IMG_1546.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6395.jpeg
    IMG_6395.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6403.jpeg
    IMG_6403.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
I had a very similar experience with an Airflow Systems oil cooler, as did a few others. Hence the Vans service bulletin. I’m not impressed with the stamp and braze construction. I switched to an Aero-Classics oil cooler which is welded and much more robust. I have over 100 hours on it now with no troubles and the performance is very goood.

Back