What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Next after tail cone

togaflyer

Well Known Member
When the tail cone is done, do you continue with attaching the empinage, or do you attach the tail cone to the fusalage, then attach the horizontal and vertical after that. Which way is a better flow.

Easiest is to pretty much install all the tailfeathers, then remove them and bag all the bolt/washer sets. Then mate the bare tailcone to the fuse.

Agreed.

I put the VS, HS, Rudder, and Elevators on to test the fit, did all the fiberglass fairings, and then took it all apart and stored it away until closer to the end of the build.

Do you take the horizontal and vertical back off because its easier to mount onto the fusalage or for work space.

Because it's easier to mount. You will probably rotate the assembly during riveting. I actually have my RV-14A fuselage on a rotisserie and whished I had done the same for the RV-10. Much easier to access the interior to install components like the brake system.

Last edited:
Easiest is to pretty much install all the tailfeathers, then remove them and bag all the bolt/washer sets. Then mate the bare tailcone to the fuse.

This is exactly what we do. Not necessarily bagging the bolt and washer sets, but a lot of times we will is used hardware for the alignment, fitting and rigging.

Back