What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Well I did it!! Took over a 7A quick Build kit last week end and spent most of the week getting the garage in order. Any guys in the columbus or Cleaveland area would be nice to pick a few brains and see your project. To say this is a little over whelming is an under statement. I keep looking at the plans and the fuselage and nothing is happening:confused: I gues I bettter start installing something.

Welcome.

Randy,

Don't look at the entire project, look at each little piece or part that you have to make or drill or rivet. Then as you cross them off the list, the whole project is not as daunting. Just a whole bunch of little bitty projects that will have a spectacular finish. Sorry, not in your area, but don't get discouraged, it is a ton of fun.

Best,

Ben

Ben is a wise man

Randy,
Where are you picking up with this build? Since you said it's a QB, it sounds like the empennage is already finished. That's unfortunate, if you've never built before, since most of the learning happens while you build the emp.

My advice: See if you can make it to an EAA builder's class on basic metal-work (drill, deburr, rivet, etc). Watch those videos, too.

And Ben hit the nail on the skull: Building an airplane is a whole lot of small but vital tasks that come together over time. Don't feel bad or rushed if you find yourself studying plans a LOT. That just means you want to be sure of what you're about to do...that that's a healthy approach.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome Randy

.......(snip) To say this is a little over whelming is an under statement. I keep looking at the plans and the fuselage and nothing is happening:confused: ......

Years ago, I was watching a friend do the first flight of his brand new Cassutt F-1 racer at Daniel Field in Augusta, Ga. while I was stationed at Ft. Gordon.

I was flying RC models at the time and taking flying lessons and I quipped to the Cassutt builder (Nick Jones), that it looked just like an RC model but a little bit bigger:) He replied, "Old buddy, if you can build an RC model, you can easily build one of these! The parts are just bigger!" I took that advice to heart and several years later was flying my own Cassutt in 1974.

Just build one aileron, then another....then a fuel tank....then another and so on until there are no more pieces to build:)

Best,

Thanks all!

tail section 90% complete and excellent workmanship. fuselage and wings basicly unstarted. I have a pretty good feel for the drilling and riveting. I have 27 years of automotive mechanical experience, electronic diagnosing and body repair work. Not too concerned about the construction itself. My biggest hurdle at this point is finding a starting point on the plans and rechecking what has been completed so far. I knew this was going to be one of the downsides of buying a kit that was partially started. I weighed the risks versus the savings of the shipping, and the recent price increases over the last four years and all of the ordering process because the kit was 20 min. from my house. I have been following the RV projects on here for over five years and you guys have given me valuable input and motivation to finally get started. Thanks very much! Still would love to be able to connect with someone in the northeastern Ohio area that is working on a 7A. will try and find an EAA chapter that holds sheet-metal classes or construction classes.

Randy

p.s.

SID (Scroll) - Thank you and all of the other veterans on this site for your service to this great country and keeping us safe. I now have skin in the game because my son recently graduated from BMT for the US Air Force. He is currently training at Sheppard Air Force Base to work on jet engines. Probably no chance I'll have a jet engine in this RV 7A.

Last edited:
Randy, Start at the beginning of the emp instructions. Grab your prints and go over the complete tail for 2 reasons:

1. to make sure everything was actually done according to the plans
2. bring you up to speed on the instruction/drawing interface. You'll learn what parts are what as they will be referred to later during assembly.

As you move through the instructions you will see they expect you to already know certain things and don't tell you as much. The tail kit holds your hand more. By the time you get to the finish kit, you'll be looking at drawings and only occasionally referring to the instructions.

Have fun and jump in, the waters fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. to make sure everything was actually done according to the plans
2. bring you up to speed on the instruction/drawing interface. You'll learn what parts are what as they will be referred to later during assembly.

this is all great advice actually I spent eight hours today doing just that.

Have not joined the Ohio Valley club but plan on it. I actually spoke with Rick and flew down and looked at his projects this past summer was going to work with him on the tail section when a bought a new kit but this deal came along on the one I'm currently working on and I could not pass it up.

Randy

Back