What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

newbie wiring question

skidmk

Well Known Member
Okay,,, looking through the aeroelectic book and cannot find an answer to my question.

mil spec wire.... number 22759/16-14 is this a 14 or a 16? I have others that are just 22759/16-16 ? /18-16 etc etc. is the last number the awg or is it the first?

thanks

Mike

Last number is gauge

skidmk said:
Okay,,, looking through the aeroelectic book and cannot find an answer to my question.

mil spec wire.... number 22759/16-14 is this a 14 or a 16? I have others that are just 22759/16-16 ? /18-16 etc etc. is the last number the awg or is it the first?

thanks

Mike

The "slash" on the part number is the "sub-type" for want of a better word.... :)

The last number is the gauge.

So the number {22759/16-14} you give is /16 (the usual aircraft stuff) that is 14 gauge.

...hope this helps....

gil in Tucson

Gil is spot on. What is printed on the wire is actually:

M22759/16-XX-Y

Where XX is the AWG and Y is the color code (0-9)

There are a whole host of other numbers that can be added or modified for each mil spec for a whole myriad of minute changes, but the stadard aircraft wire is /16.

Cheers,
Stein.

Wire

The most common type of aircraft wire codes/part #'s can be viewed and saved to your computer for future reference here.

www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/wire.pdf

Please note small correction, the 22 gauge is 3.68#'s per 1,000 ft
I will try to get that fixed.

There are a lot more specs than this, but this will cover most everything on an RV :cool:

Last edited:
Fixed

GAHco said:
Please note small correction, the 22 gauge is 3.68#'s per 1,000 ft
I will try to get that fixed.

All better now. :)

Thanks for the help Jonathan. :cool:

MCA said:
There is a lot of generic information that should be helpful to you

Yep, sure was.

I am in the middle of doing the wiring now, printed off a couple of pages to take out to the project.

Thanks.

Mike

Back