What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie saying hey

LuisR

Well Known Member
I have been a LONG (10 years) time reader here and other rv related sites. I'm a fix it, build it, get it done type of guy for as long as I can remember. Now I got the "proceed with caution from the wife". Yay!!!

So I coverted part if our back patio into the factory. My work space is about 24' X 11.5'. I've built a 4' X 8' EAA style table. Have the drill press, grinder, band saw, and picking up a disc/belt sander combo tonight for 40 bucks.

Still to do is overhead flourecent lights, compressor, and parts bin. Maybe I'll put up some shelving now or A's I need 'em. Then I'll order the tools and practice kits. Oh dam, this is getting exciting!

I'm going the minimal NAPA primer route. I Dont think I'll do the rudder trim. I'm aiming for an IFR Long cross country bird (panel details will come during panel building as the technology is ever so changing). O2 is a must as I love altitude.

This will be a slow build for sure. What else should I add to my list before I start? When and how much proseal should I get?

Yay!!!! I got the RV grin already!

Ps. Never been up in a RV much less the -10

Welcome! You think you're excited now, wait til you finish your first airplane sub assembly! It'll be an ear-to-ear $%&*-eatin' grin!!! Enjoy the journey...

Welcome Luis!

Good luck on your -10 build - you'll find a lot of friendly help around these parts.

Best,
Doug

Welcome to the club!

Don't worry about proseal right now. Its shelf life is really short.

Phil

Welcome to the Journey! I bought an ounce of proseal last night at Wicks Aircraft (I live about 20 miles from there) and used less than half of it to do my rudder trailing edge today. I wont buy more till I'm ready for the tanks.
Good Luck,

Hi Luis...

...if you're ever up in the northern part of Florida, get hold of me for a free RV-10 ride for you and the wife. I was just down at Ft. Pierce on Monday. Wish I'd known. I'm not far north of you at 2J3, near Augusta, Ga.

How 'bout meet me at Jekyll Island, Ga. on a Sunday for brunch and a ride?

Best,

Welcome! You think you're excited now, wait til you finish your first airplane sub assembly! It'll be an ear-to-ear $%&*-eatin' grin!!! Enjoy the journey...

Well finishing a part is OK, :p pushing the throttle in does wonders as well!!:D

Took me 5.375 years to complete but worth every minute. Welcome aboard...lol, I hadn't heard FNG in awhile but recall it well! and your right, they do buy the beer!;)

Luis,
Congrats! The space sounds big enough, but make sure it's comfortable - insulation, heat, etc. The Napa 7220 self etching primer works great for me. Get a real respirator and sealed goggles - you'll be using them a lot. Also, get a box of Nitrile gloves now, so you start thinking about using them.
You will be changing one of the wheels on the grinder to a Scotchbrite wheel (the most important tool you will use), so keep a dust mask and ventilated goggles next to it. Start shopping around for an "RV tool kit." It will have things such as rivet gun, air drill, dimpler, etc. Just watch the forum's classifieds or splurge and buy from Avery or whoever. Don't forget a shop vacuum.
Good luck,
John

...if you're ever up in the northern part of Florida, get hold of me for a free RV-10 ride for you and the wife. I was just down at Ft. Pierce on Monday. Wish I'd known. I'm not far north of you at 2J3, near Augusta, Ga.

How 'bout meet me at Jekyll Island, Ga. on a Sunday for brunch and a ride?

Best,

Thanks for the offer sir. If I'm ever up that way then I'll be sure to let you know ahead of time. I'm way down south in West Palm Beach though. The ride in the -10 will be a great motivator!!!! :)

Luis,
Congrats! The space sounds big enough, but make sure it's comfortable - insulation, heat, etc. The Napa 7220 self etching primer works great for me. Get a real respirator and sealed goggles - you'll be using them a lot. Also, get a box of Nitrile gloves now, so you start thinking about using them.
You will be changing one of the wheels on the grinder to a Scotchbrite wheel (the most important tool you will use), so keep a dust mask and ventilated goggles next to it. Start shopping around for an "RV tool kit." It will have things such as rivet gun, air drill, dimpler, etc. Just watch the forum's classifieds or splurge and buy from Avery or whoever. Don't forget a shop vacuum.
Good luck,
John

John,

I plan on saving up for the "airplane tools" and the tail kit before work any more on the factory. While waiting on the shipment, I'll insulate and extend an air condition duct into it.

Got the shop vac.

Where do I pick up nitrile gloves, Home Depot?

As for airplane tool kit, I was thinking of the Planetools.com kit. Just don't like the steep price on it though. What do you all think.

P.S. Picked up a disc/belt sander yesterday for 40 bucks in great condition from craigslist.

Oh and did I mention....

I just ordered the Info Pack with DVD today!!!! It should add to the motivation: :) :)

If you haven't been, go to Sun-N-Fun in Apr. You can get your ride there, guaranteed! :D

I saw the -10 when it first showed up at Sun-N-FUN years ago. NICE!! That was awhile ago. So yes, I'll diffinetely be at the 2010 show. It's already on the calendar.

If your kit has not shipped by Sun-n-Fun, you can save some cash by getting most if not all of your tools there. All the major vendors will most likely be there and you can see for yourself the differences in tool kit composition and quality. Also keep an eye on the classifieds here at VAF as someone will more than likely post a tool kit for sale. Whatever you do, spring for a tungsten bucking bar.

For the tail kit, you won't meed more than a few ounces of Proseal, in fact you can get by without IMO. I used some Marine adhesive when I riveted my rudder trailing edge and it worked just fine. I did use Proseal on my elevators more to just get a feel for working with the material than anything else.

Anyway, you can get nitrile gloves at HD, Lowes, and even most Pharmacies.

Medical. These (medical /surgical style) typically come in 3 flavors - latex, nitrile (which is synthetic latex) and vinyl. People use nitrile if they have a latex allergy, plus they are a little easier to put on because they have less friction than latex.

Last edited:
gloves

Harbor Freight has them if there is a store near you or you are placing a catalog/internet order.

Congratulations Luis!
I am in New Smyrna Beach, FL(betweem Daytona and the Space Center) and would be happy to work out a way to meet somewhere to give you a ride, as well. PM me if you would like to work something out.

Don,

Yup, I've hit Harbor Freight a lot lately. It's a quick 20 min drive away. I think I need to pick up a die grinder. What do you think? Do I need the die grinder for the tail?

David,

Thanks...PM Sent!

Lenny,

Thanks for the local builder info, email sent. Any local builder need help bucking, let me know. I'm willing to learn about riveting before my kit arrives.

Thanks Everyone!!!

Back