What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie RV-10

colestopp

RV10; I am a newboy; we have been building the vertical surface for a couple of weeks and going well so far, but just about to do some early riveting.
If you look at page 6-4, figure 4, the lower rear spar rivets are all specified as AN426AD4-7. But some go through rudder brackets and some do not; ie different depths of material. Why is that? I would have expected 2 different specs. Is it because the thickness of the bracket holes is quite small compared with the total?
I am quite happy with what it says, but I would feel more comfortable if I fully understood why! Any help would be appreciated.

I know nothing about the RV10 drawings but on the -8 the rivet sizing is wrong on occasion. It is up to the builder to make certain the correct size is used, so size them as necessary and build on!

In some places the exact size needed is in between standard lengths, and the only in between length supplied is 3.5. So yes, sometimes the plans call for the same rivet lengths thru varying thicknesses. But you need to make the final call.
For a new guy having one of those feeler gauges that shows perfect shop head dimensions is a useful tool.

For a new guy having one of those feeler gauges that shows perfect shop head dimensions is a useful tool.

And gaining an understanding that the rivet gauges are only for measuring to the rule of thumb guidelines as far as rivet length and shop head size.

Review Section 5.4 in THIS document, for a description regarding callouts of rivet lengths,

and reference THIS document for the actual Mil spec regarding installation of rivets (dimensions for shop head diam, thickness, etc.)

In a nut shell, sometimes the same length rivet can be used in two locations because in one location the rivet may have been slightly on the long side, and in another, slightly on the short side, but will meet the Mil spec for shop head size in both locations.

I do recall something in that section where a few of the rivets were too short. Both short with a rivet gauge and when squeezed, was undersized. Stepping up to the next length worked fine.

Can't find the correct picture with the -4 gauge in the shot, but here you can see the stock rivet was too short even for a -3.

N928MTBuildPhoto33_zps6fcd9706.jpg

rivet length

Thank you for the quick replies and the links! Yes I read Milspec for rivets, but I haven't quite memorised it all yet.
The message I have is to measure and check and not take the nominated size as 100% gospel- thanks to all.

Just beware the law of unintended consequences........

It may appear "safer" to go slightly long. Bear in mind, however, that the -6 and -7 rivets are harder to drive and so it is more likely that you will make an error with a slightly over-size rivet and clinch it. Drilling out these long rivets is a real PITA - you see where this is going?

The manual Part 5 discusses this.

Back