What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie Questions

dkretch

I'm New Here
Hi folks,

During my last 3rd class medical exam I was borderline on one of the tests. I did pass but this event has been a real eye opener for me. So I started looking at light sport aircraft before I become a non-flying statistic. I've always wanted to build a plane and almost bought a Zenith Zodiac 601XL kit 2 years ago. Glad I didn't follow through on that one!

That's my background, now for a couple of questions.
1. I'm a big guy, 6'4". Will I fit in an RV-12?
2. What is a realistic build time? (I'm very mechanical)

If there is anyone in the Minneapolis area that has an RV-12 that would allow me to try it on for size, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
Dan Kretchmer

Dan,

A little over a year ago I had the same question. See this thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=35969

I have flown the red RV-12 twice (shhh - don't tell) and I am very comfortable in it. Plenty of head room even with a headset.

I have 847 hours in my project over about 14 months. Finish kit is about 90% done and the engine and avionics are on order. I am really taking my time. I am pretty good with tools but there are a lot of new skills to be learned and there is no reason to hurry.

John

I'm a big guy, 6'4". Will I fit in an RV-12?

The two guys that designed the 12 are taller than you. In fact, you would have a bigger problem if you were short. My wife can't reach the pedals so I'm going to have to figure out some way to extend em.

Back