What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie question

Wyzepilot

So I'm just getting started and I'm in the process of deburring the outside and inside edges of the vertical stabilizer parts. My question is about VS 1008 the rear spar doubler. I spent a lot of time deburring this part but the edges are still not quite as smooth as the other parts. It's smooth but still a little bumpy. Can I move on? Thanks!!!!

So I'm just getting started and I'm in the process of deburring the outside and inside edges of the vertical stabilizer parts. My question is about VS 1008 the rear spar doubler. I spent a lot of time deburring this part but the edges are still not quite as smooth as the other parts. It's smooth but still a little bumpy. Can I move on? Thanks!!!!

If the bumps you're referring to are the tooling marks from being stamped, I would continue to debur. A scotchbrite wheel should make quick work of the outside of the doubler.

Looks like we're both beginning at the same time. I received my empennage last week and plan on beginning tomorrow! Will you be doing an online log?

Files

They are not only for "old school" builders. You WILL need and use them on your project. Buy a set that includes some little half-rounds (like a jewelers file), which are good for rounded and strange-shaped cut outs.

Actually a belt sander works good on those type edges.

Get yourself a flat Vixen file - it will knock those tooling marks down very quickly.

Yes, and yes.

Bench mounted belt/disc sander is great tool, but part size is limited. Vixen file for big stuff, belt sander for smaller. Be careful, the belt sander takes off material fast-------and you should still go over the area with the Scotch brite wheel to take out the sander or file marks.

6210964.jpg

Thanks for all of the great advice!!! My belt sander made quick work of the outside edges. The inside was a little more difficult. I used a vixen file then a small scotchbrite wheel.

As of now I'm not using a online log, however that may change. I'm trying out the aircraft builder app and it seems to be working ok. We'll see as I get further along in the process.

Once again thanks for all of the quick responses as I will certainly pass it forward as I gain experience.

Dave.

There are many ways that you can knock these off as you can see from the various responses. I personally use a piece of sand paper wrapped around a small block of wood. I sand with the block square to the edge to sand the edge surface and I also hold the block at an angle to get rid of the burrs. I also have a die grinder with a small scotchbrite wheel ( I think its 2" or 3"). That makes quick work of prepping the edges in a quick pass. The wheel gets little grooves from the edge and that ends up working great. If you decide to go with this approach it is useful going forward on all of the edges that you can reach with the wheel. You will still need to sand in the corners and etc. I found the small wheels on EBAY and got them for a couple bucks each.

ScotchBrite Wheel Grooves

Yes, the grooves that form in the scotchbrite wheels are nice at times. Be careful, however. Those grooves will get deeper quickly and the are V shaped. Eventually, if you run the piece of aluminum in a deep groove, it will debur it but it will also sharpen the aluminum to a very sharp edge...which kind of defeats the purpose of deburring...not to mention if you slide your fingers over the edge to check the smoothness and they come back bloody...:eek:

Thanks for all of the great advice!!! My belt sander made quick work of the outside edges. The inside was a little more difficult. I used a vixen file then a small scotchbrite wheel.

As of now I'm not using a online log, however that may change. I'm trying out the aircraft builder app and it seems to be working ok. We'll see as I get further along in the process.

Once again thanks for all of the quick responses as I will certainly pass it forward as I gain experience.

Dave.

I used a free wordpress site. Super easy to use and add commentary/notes/and pictures as you go. Link to mine in the signature line.

Back