What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie question: Useful load

RV6aflyer

I'm New Here
I'm looking at a nice 6a for sale which is well equipped, with a 160hp and CS Prop, but only has a Useful load of about 570 lbs. With full fuel, the people and baggage number is 342 lbs. I'm 185#. The builder says 1700# is GW, although I note that Vans shows 1650 as the normal GW. Should I be concerned about the "likelihood" of topping GW on occasion? Is this aircraft just a bit heavy compared to typical 6a planes? Advice appreciated

I would have no concern at all about the strength of the airframe to handle it. The bigger issue is the legality of flying over gross.
That airplane is in the ballpark for what I see weight wise in most 6A's. A tad bit porky, but not as heavy as many.

I just had a chat with the owner of the 7 on floats. I can not recall what they grossed up that airplane, but it is way up there. The floats alone add something like 300#. That airplane has been flying for some time at these weights.

My 6A hits the aft CG limit about the same time as the 1650lb gross weight. But, i'm a 160hp with a wood prop. Relatively light on the nose. If I added a CS prop then I would probably want to raise the gross weight as the airplane could carry more and still be within CG limits.

I just had a chat with the owner of the 7 on floats. The floats alone add something like 300#. That airplane has been flying for some time at these weights.

The reason float planes can get away with jacking up the weight is because the drag created by the floats reduces the cruise speed. Therefore, the loads that the aircraft can be subjected to also decrease.

Last edited:
Just to add info to the mix, my 6A has the gross weight set at 1800 lbs. I believe I?m fortunate to have the O360 sitting out front, as I have never experienced any kind of CofG issue.

I have been loaded within 30lbs, of gross, flown for 3 hours burning off fuel, and still well within CofG on approach. I do add 6-7 knots to approach speed though.

Talking with other 6 pilots, as well as my own experiences - I would suggest that on the 6 there is a close correlation between the weight in front of the firewall and your useful load.

Others with more experience may have a different opinion.

Cheers
Dwayne

Back