What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie...more input needed

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
Newbie confused again: Just exactly what capabilities are installed as standard equipment in the latest Dynon Skyview in a RV 12 S-LSA?

I am reading about autopilot with altitude hold and preselect and other good stuff I am not used to seeing outside of an A-36.

Is there a web page that lists this stuff.....in a Vans RV12.

Thanks,
EBB

You will find more information at the Dynon site http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/SkyView_intro.html . Basically, it is amazing, synthetic vision, weather and traffic (with ADSB installed) and all the basic things like true airspeed, autopilot, and push-pull freqs on the radio. No highway-in-the-sky--yet. It is even pretty intuitive to operate with the latest upgrade. We have it in three 12s so far and love the system.

Bob

Auto pilot servos and ADSB are optional (read more money). You can look at the RV-12 order forms on the http://vansaircraft.com, especially the avionics order form. That will explain what you get standard and what capability is optional

Newbie confused again: Just exactly what capabilities are installed as standard equipment in the latest Dynon Skyview in a RV 12 S-LSA?

I am reading about autopilot with altitude hold and preselect and other good stuff I am not used to seeing outside of an A-36.

Is there a web page that lists this stuff.....in a Vans RV12.

Thanks,
EBB

The correct answer to your question is... it depends.

You are asking about S-LSA
All of the first batch of S-LSA's sold are full blown airplanes with all available kit options installed standard.
It is not yet specified how any follow on S-LSA airplanes will be equipped.

For a kit built RV-12 you can use the previously mentioned order forms to figure out what is standard and what is optional.

FOr a Dynon Skyview system, all of the autopilot functions are in the included software. There are no options to buy. The basic Skyview system already comes with that capability in the software, only the AP servos themselves have to be added for that software to work.

Skyview software gets updated about every 3-4 months, and new capabilities are added. The latest rev had even more sophisticated AP functions than the prior version. All SV updates have been free. Regardless as to if you buy an SLSA or an ELSA, you will be updating the SV software when new versions come out. The ADSB-IN capability is an optional box. I just added one to my ELSA. It was an option for the SLSA buyers.

In other words, there is nothing "hobbled" about the SV installed in the SLSA. Now, it is a VFR system with only one GPS receiver and ADAHRs. Some who use Dynon in other EAB planes go dual with those sensors. If you go SLSA (not ELSA) you would have to get a permission letter from Vans to add such extra hardware.

You update SV software and aviation databases (also free) by downloading files onto a USB stick from the Dynon website, then put the stick into the SV in a provided USB port below the panel (or an extension cable that plugs into the back of the EFIS.) Then a command loads them into the system. The aviation monthly database updates are also free. I recommend the Dynon website.

Last edited:
Back