What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newbie Mistake - help

Flying C

I think I just make my first big mistake while riveting together the HS front spar. I was riveting HS-702 to HS-710 and HS-714 and while doing so got a bit carried away and riveted through two of the hole that attached HS-405 to the front spar. No big deal I thought, I will just drill out the rivets. Well I screwed up with drilling out one of the rivets and I am not sure if I need to order a replacement for HS-702 and HS-714. I have attached a photo showing the mess I made. So, where do I go from here, is there something I can do to salvage the mistake or do I need to order the replacement parts.
Jake

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13654386@N03/2502797454/

I think I just make my first big mistake while riveting together the HS front spar. I was riveting HS-702 to HS-710 and HS-714 and while doing so got a bit carried away and riveted through two of the hole that attached HS-405 to the front spar. No big deal I thought, I will just drill out the rivets. Well I screwed up with drilling out one of the rivets and I am not sure if I need to order a replacement for HS-702 and HS-714. I have attached a photo showing the mess I made. So, where do I go from here, is there something I can do to salvage the mistake or do I need to order the replacement parts.
Jake

Jake,

Welcome to RV-dom!

There isn't much that can't be repaired, and if you have an experienced builder or EAA Tech Counselor nearby he can show you how to repair the part. But if you are really concerned about using a repaired part, go ahead and order new pieces. You don't want to have regrets later about your lapse in craftsmanship.

You can build the vertical stab while you are waiting for the Big Brown truck. :)

This is a good time to encourage you to get acquainted with an EAA Tech who can help you through future glitches and assure you the workmanship is up to standards. Check with your local chapter or the EAA website for counselors near you.

Last edited:
If there is room for and if it comes out right, nut and bolt it with the an3.

Other wise order new parts.

After walking away for a few minutes and several deep breaths, I relooked the issue over. I think if I go up one rivet size AN470AD5 instead of AN470AD4 that it will work out. Have also heard of an "oops" rivet, but not sure of their exact name. Thanks for all the help/suggestions and will keep you posted.
Jake

I say try the bolt

Looks to me like the holes are to far apart. but if you drill it out to AN3 bolt size you might be able to salvage it. If this is the worst thing you do, you are my hero.

Randy

8A canopy

"Oops rivets" are NAS1097 rivets, and they are flush head rivets that you use on skins where you don't want it to be obvious that you had to go up a side. A NAS1097-4 rivet has a -4 (1/8") shank, but the head diameter is the same as the head on a -3 rivet. You can drill an already-dimpled hole out to #30 and use the NAS1097-4 rivet in the oversized hole, and you won't have an unsightly large rivet head to show for it.

For these universal head rivets, there's not really an "oops" rivet per se. Just go up a size or use a bolt. Or, you could go ahead and fill one side of the figure-8 with a -4 rivet, then put another rivet 2 diameters away to back up the structurally compromised rivet.

I'd go for new parts on that one. Just because I don't like leaving stuff like that on an airplane...

Ya, but if he can get away with an an3 bolt to fix it and it's hidden, than by all means, go for it. It's the hide your booboo thing, Ive done it many times, and I don't get bothered by it one bit. I put a dent in my floor, I filled it and painted it, it's gone, I'm the only one that knows about it, best of all many of these hits I forget about. I did a bad booboo on the underneath skin when I did a rivet, I said, who is going to be standing on their head on this one, I didn't do anything to that one, it will always be their, do I care, nope.

Hi Jake,
I made a similar mistake on the same pieces a few months ago. But mine were not so bad, I just had a slightly elongated hole on the rib flange and on the spar and the hole on HS-710 was not perfectly perpendicular. I contacted Van's tech assistance and the answer was:

- don't care about the elongated hole on the spar because it is sandwiched between HS-710 and the rib
- put a doubler on the rib flange with the right size hole to reinforce it
- build a new HS-710 because it is the main load bearing element on the front spar and it must be perfect.

Looking at the picture you posted, I think it is better if you buy new parts and rebuild them.

Newbie Mistake

One thing you might want to consider along with the EAA counselor idea, I took a class at Alexander's in Griffin Georgia. You spend a week and work on the tail full time. The experience is intense and you learn so much that will help you get through the project.

There are two day classes available on RV construction. The trial and error process is very frustrating and mistakes are inevitable. I didn't realize how much I learned until I had some one who built an RV and was amazed at the quality of my tail. It was having very professional help in the early stages.

Just a thought. Being up in Maine, you probably don't have a lot of RV builders to call up and get the hands on help.

STeve Anderson
RV 7A H-6
Lafayette La.
Last 3% Finishing

Thanks for sharing! I'm at the same stage as you are and it's good to learn from other's mistakes. I hope I don't make any serious mistakes - I'll remeber to share the experience.

Back