What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newb Question: Canopy

osxuser

Well Known Member
So I'm pretty new here, but I've not been able to find anyone who makes a nice gray tinted canopy for the -7. Specifically, a slider. I know companys that make them for the 4 and the 8, but not the 6 or 7. What gives? I would have thought they were more popular models of RV's, so there would be more out there for um.

Canopy tint

The canopy supplied by Van's is tinted 25/15. Are you looking for a darker tint? If so, consider that Van's says that the FAA considers this tint to be the maximum tint approved for night flight. :cool:

If you are going to fly at night, you don't want a dark tint! I once built a Moni Motorglider (intended for day VFR even though I had nav lights and strobes) with a dark tinted canopy. I decided one afternoon that I would stay in the pattern at sundown. When the sun went below the horizon it immediately got VERY dark. I got on the ground and opened the canopy and it was still quite light outside. I know you probably aren't talking about a dark tint. I just wanted to relate that a little tint goes a long way when the sun goes down.
Mel...DAR

I don't know, the -7's I've seen don't appear that dark to me. The windsheld we installed from LP Aero Plastics in our C177 is darker if I'm not mistaken. I'd at least like it that dark. I don't know what the numbers mean, but the standard aviation gray tint window color is what I'm looking for.

It is possible to order a darker tint from Van's. I thought about doing it myself since I live in Hotlanta but decided against it for the reasons given above by Mel and others.

Call Van's and they will tell you exactly what you need to do. They'll just leave the canopy out of your finish kit and you'll order the canopy directly from the company that makes them for Van's (if I remember correctly, the company is called AeroPlastics or something like that -- they're based in Ohio).

Back