What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Wing Tip Lights ????

Bruce

Well Known Member
Friend
Are these the new style wing tip lights that hold (2) landing lights
etc that Vans is talking about.

Bruce Pauley
VAF #582
Emp
177 WD Res
Kitlog

Those look like "Massey Hot Tips" designed for Harmon Rockets but work well on RV's. IMHO

In the photo-- that's a wingtip that starts out with no cut out and you cut and mold in the shown light hsg. and then you buy the light kit which is extra.

A Van's tip is a huge pie shaped wedge cut out of a wingtip.

We're going to install Massey Hot Tips in our HR2 in the next few months.

Massey Aviation in Shafter,CA located at KMIT.

If you check out my Bakersfield fly in picts-- there are plenty of those.

Bruce said:
Are these the new style wing tip lights that hold (2) landing lights
etc that Vans is talking about.

Bruce Pauley
VAF #582
Emp
177 WD Res
Kitlog

It looks like you wouldn't be able to see the strobes from the rear. Not ideal if you've got a Lancair on your six.

BrickPilot said:
It looks like you wouldn't be able to see the strobes from the rear. Not ideal if you've got a Lancair on your six.
There is an option to put strobo in your rudder if you think there will be Lancairs around... So 3 strobos and total of 360 degree of light.

Stobes visability

It just so happens that I was at Vans today and I was talking with Tom about this. He said even with the new wingtips (not so new really) that you really need a rear mounted strobe anyway because you cannot see the strobes in the tips anyway from behind.

Van's Lights

I've ordered all my lights from Van's. I got both their strobe/position lights and their wingtip lights. I went with system 6 which includes the rear strobes. The wintip lights they sell are the dual light units that fit the pie hole. I'm thinking of upgrading the wingtip lights to HIDs ... but we'll see if that happens. I don't have them assembled yet but can post pics of the kit if you want.

-Rick

System 6 Strobe/Position Lights

Van's Wintip Lights

Last edited:
Wingtip lights

Hello,

I'm interested in a photo of those wingtip lights, Vans' picture is not very explicit.
Thanks

Back