What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Ways to Screw Up

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
As I was looking up into my V Stab clecoed all together admiring my handiwork, I happened to notice something, notice the tabs that became bent away from the skin as it was clecoed? I managed to bend them back up and get them riveted in as they should. If you have not looked at yours, you could find the same problem. Probably not enough structure strength difference to get excited about, but I just had to make it perfect.
mlnkhi.jpg

I had tabs bent working on the wings, particularly with the closing of the wing tip (this is described on my blog with precautions to be taken in this specific case) but it was always from pushing the rivets through the skin, never from a cleco. I am surprised that clecos can do that because they are sharper than a rivet and usually easier to insert. Anyway you have the right attitude for succeeding: a healthy mix of self admiration and critical eyes :D

Yes it is!

After mulling what your problem was, I think I found it: you release the grip on the cleco plier too early, before the head is fully engaged behind the tab. As a result you push the tab away and the cleco locks under the tab.
You are right, this is a new way to screw up and I am disappointed I did not find it before you as I am almost two kits ahead :D
As a foot note, I presume you post this to help other newbies like us. To be fully usable you need to be more specific in the title like: "bent tabs" so that a search on the subject will bring the thread up. If you do a search on "screw-up" you are going to bring the server down! :eek:

Back