What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New version Rotax fuel pump failure

rv3flier

Well Known Member
Thought I'd mention that my mechanical fuel pump failed within 18 months and about 75 hours of operation during a three hour flight from Washington to Idaho. Indications were a stain on the nose gear pant and lower cowl under the drip tube plus a very dirty fuselage bottom. Several times during the flight I thought I detected a slight shudder from the engine that lasted only a second or so. I also ran the electric fuel pump w/o the engine running to see if there was any overflow from the carbs -- none.

The bad news is the fuel pumps are on backorder with none expected to be in for about two weeks then, of course, shipping time. None too impressed with the durability of the new pump.

Just a note, but not on the failure above.
The new fuel pumps can and do at times ooze a little fuel out the drain. If it is a very tiny amount that may be normal, but anything that would constitute and large amount or a solid drip and or flow would not be normal.
Getting a drop or two on a wheel pant (depending on where your drain tube is located) could be normal.
Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just repeating what I was told by Rotax.

One thing I would do to check any suspected pump is to put an inline mechanical gauge and check the pressure. This is fairly cheap and easy.

Back