What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Vents for overhead console

bpattonsoa

Well Known Member
A neighbor has a large number of surplus (new) overhead vents from Boeing 727s. They could be available at lower cost than what is out there now.

There are two styles of vents. Both would work well with the Aerosport console. One mounts with 4 screws, the other has a ring that clamps it in place. They are very tight when closed.

They were designed for a pressurized system, and I am wondering if the will have enough flow our application. The hose connection (which would not be used) is for a 5/8" flex hose. I suspect the air header in the 727 was pressurized to provide sufficient flow.

Does anyone know what pressure they used in the original application and if there is enough pressure in our use? I notice that most of the vents for sale are 1.5" or so. These are about 3/4" or so.

Photos included.

1349400376.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

IMG_3926.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

Too small

Hi
I have exactly the same in my rv-10. It was built by a a&p and he probably had access to these vent.
I found that they are too small. The opening of the vent is too small and there is not a lot of air that come out. The connector (gray) is too small too. In my comsole, tube has been pass to the connector. Others just pressurize the console and put the vent without tube. Probably better. I change the vent dor bigger but think that the 90degre connector put too much restriction.
The real thing is, if you put the big vent 1-3/4 for pilot and copilot and you put the vent on the side for passengers, you don't really need the vent on the console. I have them but barely use them.
Finnaly, i would be interest to buy a couple of these vent because i need spare part. I didn't knew wherer they were comming from and i need the 90 degre gray part and the plastic ring. I removed the vent but still use the 90degre connecor

The real thing is, if you put the big vent 1-3/4 for pilot and copilot and you put the vent on the side for passengers, you don't really need the vent on the console.

My wife and I agree completely. On the ground just open both doors 3-4". I have a handle on the rear of doors for kids to hold and we hold up front. I cruise at 9500-13500 and it is always cool within 10 minutes after takeoff. Save money, weight and time. Yes, I know half the -10's have them.

My wife and I agree completely. On the ground just open both doors 3-4". I have a handle on the rear of doors for kids to hold and we hold up front. I cruise at 9500-13500 and it is always cool within 10 minutes after takeoff. Save money, weight and time. Yes, I know half the -10's have them.

Yes, but most people don't like air blowing in their crotch. Tim had a pretty good description of some potential side effects of this on the other forum. Also, people that are proned to motion sickness, prefer air to blow in their face.

This was the single upgrade modification that my wife insisted that I install. She took one long cross country in my Cherokee with air vents at your ankle and never flew again in that aircraft.

I have both vent system (Van's and console) and use them both. Love the versatility of both.
Ron

I have the large eyeball vents and they will aim right at our mic booms so no problem there. Part of my before takeoff checks are to aim them both down slightly otherwise it is annoying from 60 kts or faster. At 1000-1200 rpm and 90F+ nothing will help other than A/C or opening the doors slightly. I am not against anyone putting them in, but it is good for new builders to hear both sides. Anyone is welcome to fly with me to see for yourself. I have a lightweight interior and chose to have an aux pc680 battery/ebus instead. With 600 lbs of family, 360 lbs of fuel and 80 lbs of baggage were at gross weight. If one does not need to carry four people by all means add whatever one desires.

In our -6a, we have the good vents in the dash. They do provide more than enough air, and no doubt the -10 will do the same.

The thing I don't like about them is that when pointed where they do the most good, the mic. gets triggered. You have to point them down and not get a good stream of air in you face.

I always use the overhead vents when flying commercial, it feels good. Want the same strong flow of air in my cruiser.

From the first reply, I think that they vents are most likely too small and have too much restriction. Will go with some good blasters.

If you can't have an open cockpit, simulate.

Back