What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New V8 Vendor

Ross,

After Todd Swezey's V8 powered RV-10 came in at 2053 lbs vs. Van's 1520 lbs I find it difficult to even suggest a V8 might be a good engine for an RV-10. An S-51 maybe but not an RV. Bummer as it did sound like a good solution.

400 HP on a Skyhawk??

I was looking at the pictures of the installation. The psru looks substantial. If in fact it has been proven in the airboat world, as they claim, that would give some credibility to this new company.

Where is the radiator? The only place I see something like a radiator is above the nose gear, but that looks too small.

I'm thinking that a V8 on a 172 is an accident waiting to happen. I bet the airplane would redline SO easily.

In any case, I love the looks and sound of that LS2 engine. I'm waiting to see a rv-10 fly with one.

Looks like they've derated the engine to around 180hp. Rad is under the pan with a decent looking diverging/ converging duct. Might be ok for 180hp but I doubt if it would cool it at 400 hp.

Bud Warren is claiming 488 lbs. for the whole shot on his site. He has a photo of the scale weighing in an LS1 at 375 and says the PSRU weighs 53 lbs. That leaves 60 for the starter, rad, alternator, governor, coolant, piping and exhaust.

If true, this would put it in the ballpark of a fully dressed IO-540.

I'd sure like to see an independent flight test done on Bud's RV10 with weight, fuel burn and performance figures.

I don't think every V8 RV10 would be have to be over 1750 lbs. empty but only time will tell as more are completed.

Ross,

After Todd Swezey's V8 powered RV-10 came in at 2053 lbs vs. Van's 1520 lbs I find it difficult to even suggest a V8 might be a good engine for an RV-10. An S-51 maybe but not an RV. Bummer as it did sound like a good solution.

The V-8 is not the problem it is all the stuff I put on with it! It's the AC, the supercharger, the 30-40 tubes of sealant, the finished out interior, bondo, primer and the other stuff that someone could skip putting in. I love my AC though! I also think Bud' Warren's finished product will be over 500 lbs. You can get the weight down on these things but it will cost you a lot more money.

Todd,

1. How's it coming?

2. The sealant, primer, bondo, and interior did not put the CG 3 inches forward of fwd limit, the FWF did. It is hard to imagine any possible way to add more than 100 lbs of paint and finishing materials, even if you pro-sealed every faying surface.

Bud has a mocked up FWF on his site...should be easy enough to roll it onto a scale.

Back