What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to the VAF!

blandess

Hello Everyone,
Bo here. Allow me to introduce myself...26 yrs old, live in AZ and soon to be TX, Air Force Avionics Tech for 4 yrs, currently a civilian avionics tech for 4 yrs, pilot of 2 yrs and almost-newly-minted A&P.

I discovered RV's from my old supervisor here in AZ. He has built 5 or 6 experimentals, raced at Reno and just finished a Factory Five Racing GTM. To be frank, I am OBSESSED with flight and thankfully the girlfriend listens intently while nodding her head at my endless stories and newly-thought-up aviation adventures.

I am absolutely determined to have a plane of my own one day and a -7 seems perfect. Along with a Lancair Legacy. And an MXS. Nothing too much to ask, huh? =) I have been reading for a couple weeks before posting and have become somewhat intimidated of the building process. Is it scarier than it seems? I have done my research and understand that I need to order the preview plans of the airframe I am interested in. I am by no stretch of the imagination afraid of a challenge so that is not an issue. I was just wondering everyones experience level at their first rivet buck and how steep the learning curve is.

Thanks everyone! I will have zillions of questions for a long time to come!

Bo Landess

Welcome!

Bo:

Welcome and thank you for your service to America and all of us. The 7 is a great choice, much better than a Lancair(been there, done that). RVs can be completed on a budget, by a frugal builder. Plan, plan, plan!

Good luck.

Bo:

Welcome and thank you for your service to America and all of us. The 7 is a great choice, much better than a Lancair(been there, done that). RVs can be completed on a budget, by a frugal builder. Plan, plan, plan!

Good luck.

My pleasure! I would not be in the career field I am in today without our Air Force. If I may ask, just for my own information if nothing else, what makes a -7 a better choice than the Legacy? I've heard tons of great things about both but have settled on the 7 as my first RV. My second will be a Rocket! :D

Bo,

It sounds like you've got the determination to follow through with the project, and that may be one of the toughest skills to acquire. If you have your A&P, you shouldn't have any problem with RV construction.

If you're still on the fence, attend one of the RV construction workshops put on by the EAA or others. They will give you some good hands-on RV experience without a big investment of time and money.

Not sure where you're moving in Texas, but most of the big cities here have a pretty good-sized RV population. Hooking up with those builders & flyers who have been there, done that (and probably have the T-shirt), will prove to be very helpful and supportive.

No problem at all

If your an A&P and can drive a rivet (which being an A&P I would hope so) you'll have no trouble at all.

Its a LOT of work even from a QB kit but doing a little everyday is the key to getting there.

You will find your not limited to the 1940's junk your forced to work on (vacuum pumps, mechanical gyros and mechanical fuel pumps come to mind..But I'm biased..:)..). Instead you will relish the delights of glass panels that are impervious to aerobatics and can can be relied upon to actually work when you need them.

if you plan on flying IFR a wing leveller autopilot is really a must and an altitude hold is VERY nice..Once again the exprimental solid state A/Ps are a huge advance over the old T&B/ wet string FAA approved jobs.

Shucks you can even get experimental versions of the venerable Lycoming and save a substantial amount..or even assemble your own and save a few pennies.

The RV is probably the best all round airplane flying..Did I say I was biased?..:)

Welcome aboard

Frank

My pleasure! I would not be in the career field I am in today without our Air Force. If I may ask, just for my own information if nothing else, what makes a -7 a better choice than the Legacy? I've heard tons of great things about both but have settled on the 7 as my first RV. My second will be a Rocket! :D

Howdy Bo,

Where are you going to live in the great State of Texas?

The main difference between the Legacy and the RV-7 is that "Friends don't let friends build plastic airplanes." :D Seriously, you can build an RV-7 for half the cost of the Legacy, own and operate it for half the cost and use half the runway. You can probably build it in half the time too. You'll go 50 mph slower with the RV-7 but on half the fuel burn.

I have never known anyone that was disappointed that they built an RV-7.

Hehe

Yeah that 2400FPM climb on a cool morning....It will just have to do...4000 would be better...:)

Frank

Legacy?

Bo, Thank you for your service! Are you down at Luke these days?
And as a matter of clarity for the plastic vs metal- The legacy will take more runway, more money, and more sanding:eek: than the 7- But being honest, the Legacy will get you to point B in less time and less fuel. If your mission is short fun hops with X-country now and then, the 7 wins. Come up to cool off in Flagstaff and we have a 7A on the gear to show.

Welcome...

Bo,

I'll echo everyone else and say thank you for your service, and welcome to VAF. I'm currently building a 9A, but started with visions of a 7A. I have a set of 7/7A preview plans that I'd be willing to donate to your cause... if it'll help get the ball rolling.

PM me with your address and I'll package them up.

Bo,

Not sure where you're moving in Texas, but most of the big cities here have a pretty good-sized RV population. Hooking up with those builders & flyers who have been there, done that (and probably have the T-shirt), will prove to be very helpful and supportive.

I'm looking at the New Braunfels, Austin, San Marcos area. Depends on where I can find a job. I will DEFINITELY look up a few close RV builders for a couple reasons. 1. Experience. 2. My girl probably will hate helping me buck rivets with every molecule of her being. 3. Someone to fly with when the beast is done!

Bo, Thank you for your service! Are you down at Luke these days?
And as a matter of clarity for the plastic vs metal- The legacy will take more runway, more money, and more sanding:eek: than the 7- But being honest, the Legacy will get you to point B in less time and less fuel. If your mission is short fun hops with X-country now and then, the 7 wins. Come up to cool off in Flagstaff and we have a 7A on the gear to show.

I was at Luke! Over 3 years ago though... Yes, my main mission is trips in the "3 hr ring" if you have read the AOPA article about it, and just some general hot dogging around. The Legacy sleek lines look pretty but aren't practical for my salary at this point. Just a distant idea. And I would be happy to take a trip to FLG to see the 7A! ANOTHER reason to fly! (Like I need one anyway...) :D

Thank you Everyone for your replies! It feels good to have the support of thousands and some comments even made me chuckle... ("friends don't let friends build plastic airplanes"). I look forward to working with everyone and let me put out that I AM an avionics tech so any advice, wiring prints, tech support etc ANYONE may need please pass the word and I will do my best to help!

Happy Flying!:D

Back