What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to me RV-14A

Toddsanderson

Well Known Member
I just bought N217JR, a 2017 RV-14A. Never even sat in a Vans before buying it. Seems to be a very nice plane and has the following options: Dual G3X touch, G5, GTN650, 507 AP with YD, VPX power (very cool), Airflow Systems A/C, dual alternators (Plane power - and they seem to be problematic from the log entries), Dual P-Mags, etc.

Flying home @ 8500 ft I was using WOT and 2500 RPM and 9.5 GPH at 20F DLOP yielding 170 knots true. Cabin stays very cool with the fresh air vents and the A/C works pretty good also. Very easy to fly plane with no bad habits. Last plane was a Glasair III. I'm about 40 knots slower, but everything else is about the same except that the RV is so docile. It is so docile I think you could train a monkey to fly it. Love the visibility. Prefer the tip up canopy to the gull wing doors in the Glasair. Plane runs great LOP and I assume the P-Mags help with that. I'm going to do a GAMI lean check to see if I need GAMI injectors, but at this point it seems pretty well balanced as it runs very smooth LOP. Cylinder head temps never get above 360 and settle around 300 in cruise, but oil temp can creep up around 210 in the climb and settles down around 190 or so in cruise. This was on a 83F day and 57F at altitude.

So far I can't think of anything negative. Just a simple, yet capable airplane. Bonanza speed with fixed gear.

Your -14A sounds very similar to mine, which is also a 2017 with a Garmin panel. She's pretty much as your describe yours: a docile, honest airplane that will take care of you if you take care of her.

I've had my -14A from coast to coast (and on several grass strips) and believe this is the one airplane I'll keep until Father Time forces me to hang up my wings.

Welcome to the -14A family!

Attachments

• N307EE Envigor.jpeg
    N307EE Envigor.jpeg
    275.3 KB · Views: 266
  • N992RB Panel for Manual.jpg
    N992RB Panel for Manual.jpg
    376.7 KB · Views: 258
Just out of curiosity, why did you give up the GIII?

Years ago, one of my friends had worked for the factory and had done 30 customer pilot checkouts. He said that he would not own a GIII because things happened too fast if the engine quit...

Also, I seem to recall that the full fuel payload made it a single seater.

Thanks!

The picture attached is the reason. She couldn’t fly the plane and has developed anxiety over the last 10 years thinking I would have a heart attack in the plane and leave her alone to land the plane.

The GIII requires a lot more skill than a RV to fly just due to the absolute intolerance of slow speed flight. You fly the GIII like a jet. When the gear is down and engine is off the rate of descent approaches 4500 FPM at 100 knots indicated. Gear up is about 1200 FPM, so you leave the gear up if the engine fails. Once you learn the plane it is easy to fly, but you have to get any thoughts of slow flight or short fields out of you mind.

Also, the GIII had a 1000 lb useful. It would take 88 gallons of fuel, (2) 180 lb people and 100 lbs of bags and cover 1400 NM with IFR reserves at 210 knots true. It was a very capable plane.

Attachments

• IMG_7141.jpg
    IMG_7141.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 449
What is this on the left wing? Owner thoughts it was placed there for reflection of Nav lights, but it looks like a camera mount to me.

Attachments

• IMG_7140.jpg
    IMG_7140.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 299
Very nice well appointed plane. I was curious about the Airlflow Systems AC and look at who is front and center on the website.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 260
Very nice well appointed plane. I was curious about the Airlflow Systems AC and look at who is front and center on the website.

Yes, I think this was the first 14 to have their system. I have talked to the owner of Airflow Systems and he has agreed to work with m to optimize the system. It does work, but there is a condenser upgrade available along with idler arm for the compressor. I am not convinced the compressor alignment is correct as the plane has had a lot of maintenance replacing bushings, brackets, belts way too soon.

You’re gonna love it!

Years ago I built and flew a Glasair. About 650 hrs in it. I loved it! At that time, I was younger and bulletproof. Engine out would be a real handful! The-14 isn’t as fast, but it’s an absolute pussy cat. It’s got good speed, good load and it’s very comfortable.
I’m no longer bulletproof and the -14 is a wonderful plane for us! My Blonde agrees!

Todd,
I was up at the Kendallville Fly-in over the weekend and saw your plane on display in the hangar. I'm just in the beginning stages of my RV-14A empennage construction, but I'm looking forward to have mine as nicely equipped and nice looking as yours.
I would enjoy talking to you sometime about the features you like and those that you would change.
Regards!

What is this on the left wing? Owner thoughts it was placed there for reflection of Nav lights, but it looks like a camera mount to me.

If you haven't already discovered, it is indeed an NFlightcam surface spud mount for a ball-head for mounting camera.

Back